View Single Post

Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: 2003 Ranger 3.0L Engine misses and hesitates at 4000 rpms when accelerating.

The synchronizer and the camshaft sensor that sits on top of it is less than $200 for both parts. There is a special tool that costs anywhere between $40-$75 and is used to line up the sync properly. I would definitely read about HOW to install the sync, as there are two different ways. One would be to use the special tool, find top-dead-center (TDC) of cylinder 1 I think, and measure some angles to get it just right. The other way is to remove the sensor, mark where the old sync sits, remove it, and install the new one EXACTLY where the old one sat. Anyways, many people on this site have gone both routes with success. The dealership will probably charge around $550 parts and labor. I personally would have changed my own had my father not gone out of his way to get it fixed for me. Whatever you do, if you do install it yourself, take your time, and install it correctly. Failing to do so can result in engine failure.