View Single Post

Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Default Re: Slave cylinder replacement

It's finally done! New clutch! I still am married although I feel I should get her some flowers as it took a bit more time than I anticipated. Your advice on those e-12 bolts was spot on. I had the flywheel resurfaced and replaced that pilot bearing. The new Napa slave cylinder is so much heavier, and it had a nice steel throwout bearing built in. The hardest part was the exhaust Y as the hardware was practically welded together. one of the bolts on the manifold unthreaded with the nut still attached. I nearly used up a Mapp gas canister and a can of PB blaster getting those off. I had to grind off the nuts holding the flange together at the catalytic end. I was able to drive one bolt out, the others I could not get, so at the moment I have one bolt holding that together. I am taking it to a shop for that to get fixed. Cursing helped a lot. I tilted the engine by lowering the transmission to get at the two top bolts. Once the transmission was clear the engine just balanced that way without a support jack. Getting the transfer case off was a pita, I used a come a long attached to the hitch receiver to get some tension on the jack as I wiggled and tapped with a dead blow hammer. It had some light rust on the input shaft splines which I think was the culprit. I greased those before reassembly. Once I had the transfer case on the bench I flushed it and changed the fluid. Also I cleaned up the whole area above the transmission and fluid filmed it before getting everything back in. All in all it feels great to get that done myself and I saved about 500 dollars when you tally the parts including a 220 heater to heat the garage I was working in which is nice to have anyway, a transmission jack that I bought from grizzly, and an air ratchet which was handy. The clutch kit, and slave cylinder. I had most of the other tools. including the mapp gas torch which is a must have. My next task is to fluid film the rest of the underbody.