View Single Post

Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Default Ranger 3.0 No Spark

I have a 1993 Ranger XLT 3.0 2x4 with the manual trans.

When this problem began it would start fine, but die after 3 or 4 minutes, then require a 5 min rest before it would fire again. I checked the fuel pump, it is putting out about 35psi with out fail. Checked spark, found that I am not getting a spark when it isnt starting. Therefore this problem lies in the ignition system.

Here is what I have done so far;
- Tested for spark at the coil, not getting any there ( cap and rotor are good ). Was advised to replace the EEC relay in fuse box under the hood, did so and thought that fixed my problem for awhile. But 25 miles later it began cutting out. I left the clutch engaged when it did to use the momentum of the truck to turn the motor and it always came back to life, unlike before.
- Now that I knew the problem still lived I decided to pull the harness off the coil, TFI ( ICM up by the radiator ), and distributer to check the connectors. They all looked good but when I put everything back together I was back to square one with it dying very frequently and not restarting for awhile.
- Replaced the coil. No luck. Decided that it was either ICM or something in the distributer ( Stator, Crank potions sensor, pick up coil... ). Took the ICM to the parts store and it tested fine, all 7 times we tested it. I decided it must be the Ignition pickup on the side of the distributer so I ordered one. It will come in tomorrow but if that doesn't do it, I don't know where to turn.

I want to get it fixed tomorrow so Im hoping to have a plan in place if it still doesn't run right after the new ignition pickup.

Thanks