View Single Post

Old 02-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: part brand preference

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbama man View Post
Not true all the time. Like STL said sometimes it is best to put the part in that the truck was engineered with. For GM vehicles this is true 90% of the time. I used to have a 99 two door Tahoe. The fuel pump went out once and I put an aftermarket one on it. Two weeks later the pump bites the dust. The next one I put in was an AC Delco and it lasted. Some parts for Fords are the same way. Which is why I generally stick with Motorcraft. After market is not always better.

I think this is true for the most part, but not all the time.

Last i heard, Motorcraft does not produce parts, they buy them to their own specifications. The minimal the quality, the cheaper they will pay the orders, and then they slap on a motorcraft emblem and mark the shit up of that price.

Ford uses cheap plastic (yes, a lot of manufacturers do, i'm making a point, endulge me) instead of leather for interiors, that cuts costs. They do the same with all other parts, that's how they make profits and stay in business. There aren't bad parts per say, just parts that'll be "good enough" to do the job. People think motorcraft parts are better because there's a ford logo, thus the "idiot add-on tax".

Now, while Ford enjoys the fan tax from people who haven't bothered to do their research, companies who actually make the parts have to re-invent themselves year after year and improve, to get their share of the market.

That's why you have plain spark plugs from motorcraft, or xp laser iridium gold platinum rapidfire xtreme powersport industrial spark plugs from the competition that'll kick the ass of any oem specs, at a lower cost.

Btw, your "ac delco" fuel pump might've been a Delphi pump.

I need another beer.