Thread: will not start!
View Single Post

Old 01-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: will not start!

Hi everyone.
I have a 2004 Ford Ranger 2.3. ever since I bought it about a year ago it would start up but idle really low around 500 rpms and shake a lot until you just tapped te gas pedal and it would go up to about 1500 for about 10 seconds than go back to normal again. I went to go start it the other day and it didnt start at all, it turns over and sounds like its trying to start and shakes a lot like it used to but it wont stay running. there are no codes in the system and it only has 56,000 miles on it. I pulled out the MAF sensor and it looks brand new so i didnt bother cleaning it, I also loked at the IAC and it says not to cleanit but it too looks fine. I have alldata online but thats useless until you know the problem. I checked the fuel pressure and it seems to be fine and the fuel pump turns on when you turn the key on as well so I dont think its a fuel problem. whenever I am done trying to start it I can smell a really strong gas odor in the garage so I assume its getting fuel. I checked thespark of one of the spark plugs I dont know if I shoul check them all, I figure if one isnt working it would run on the rest. i considered mabe the timing being out or the cam position sensor being broken but im not so sure about that. i also checked the Inertia control switch and it seems fine I pushed the reset button and I dont know if its supposed to click or something but it just pushed in and came back out again. I removed it as well and shook it, yo can hear something moving inside of it I hope its not broken. Any advice wold be greatly appreciated
Thank you