Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > Engine Tech Forum > 6-Cylinder Tech > 3.0 Vulcan Tech
Forgot Password? Join Us!


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:09 PM
JMJ JMJ is offline
U. S. AIR FORCE (Retired)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
Default Engine miss.............

Have 2008 XLT 3.0 Ranger. Having a problem with a engine miss. Truck has 72,251 mile on it. Took to local Auto Zone store and had a test done.
The test showed that # 6 plug wire was misfireing or ignition wires or coil could also be the problem. Also a possible vacuum leak, injector fault or high or low fuel pressure.

I cleaned the Mass air filter flow senor (MAF) and also cleaned the Idle Air by pass valve. Used the correct cleaner. Checked all of the vacuum hoses that I could fine with leak teck and no leaks noted.

Changed all spark plugs and ignition wires using Motorcraft parts. Still had miss but not that bad. Decided to change coil and that did not help either.
I am going to change the fuel filter and see what happens. All of these parts that I change out were orginial item install on truck when new.

The rough idle seem only when I start up in the morings. The truck shakes but after it warms up it seem to run fine. I do notice at idle the needle fluxes between 650 and 700 RPM. It seems to be running fine but when I stop at a light and the longer I sit there the more is seem to idle rough. It has never stopped on me at any light but just idle very rough.

Question is......What do I do next??? Have the fuel injectors check out? Do a compression check? It seems to be running just fine on the highway. After I changed all of the above items I got 18 MPG which before I only got 14 to15 MPG

This is the second Ford product that I owned. I did have a RV camper with a V-10 engine which ran like a champ. Have always been a Chevy man for many years and just hope I did not make a mistake by going over to Ford. I really liike the truck but the miss is getting to me. Please help or suggest what to do next. Thanks in advance...................... Thank You..............JMJ

Last edited by JMJ; 05-05-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: miss spelled words
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Ermahgerd Ferd Rernjurs!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,521
Default Re: Engine miss.............

You definitely didn't make a mistake going to Ford. If anything, it'll be a drastic improvement.

All kidding aside, it sounds like if your fuel filter is original, and you have over 72k miles on the truck, it's definitely time for a change. It can affect idle and reduce performance. Number 6 misfire seems like a common thing around here; I have no idea why that is as you only need three things for ignition on any cylinder: 1. Gas. 2. Compression. 3. Spark.

Another guy has the same issue here recently. Changing the plugs/wires/coil did nothing for the misfire. At that point, after checking spark, is to do a compression test. If all is fine there, it has to be something fuel related.
__________________
2000 Ranger XL, 2WD, 3.0l, 3.73 rear, 10" rear drum ABS, standard cab, long bed, A/C, 4r44e auto trans w/transgo shift kit, throttle cable mod, air box silencer mod, rear sway bar retrofit, white grill swap, CURT hitch, Westin step bars
Quote:
Originally Posted by writtenaudio View Post
Man wish i had tits, seems like its easier to get a job if you have tits.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM
If it works,don't fix it!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 966
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
Have 2008 XLT 3.0 Ranger. Having a problem with a engine miss. Truck has 72,251 mile on it. Took to local Auto Zone store and had a test done.
The test showed that # 6 plug wire was misfireing or ignition wires or coil could also be the problem. Also a possible vacuum leak, injector fault or high or low fuel pressure.

I cleaned the Mass air filter flow senor (MAF) and also cleaned the Idle Air by pass valve. Used the correct cleaner. Checked all of the vacuum hoses that I could fine with leak teck and no leaks noted.

Changed all spark plugs and ignition wires using Motorcraft parts. Still had miss but not that bad. Decided to change coil and that did not help either.
I am going to change the fuel filter and see what happens. All of these parts that I change out were orginial item install on truck when new.

The rough idle seem only when I start up in the morings. The truck shakes but after it warms up it seem to run fine. I do notice at idle the needle fluxes between 650 and 700 RPM. It seems to be running fine but when I stop at a light and the longer I sit there the more is seem to idle rough. It has never stopped on me at any light but just idle very rough.

Question is......What do I do next??? Have the fuel injectors check out? Do a compression check? It seems to be running just fine on the highway. After I changed all of the above items I got 18 MPG which before I only got 14 to15 MPG

This is the second Ford product that I owned. I did have a RV camper with a V-10 engine which ran like a champ. Have always been a Chevy man for many years and just hope I did not make a mistake by going over to Ford. I really liike the truck but the miss is getting to me. Please help or suggest what to do next. Thanks in advance...................... Thank You..............JMJ

Do you remember what the code was, like Pxxxx ?

The ruff idle could be the EGR valve not fully seating because it's gummed up with carbon, remove and clean with carb cleaner. Would be a good idea to make sure the valve is moving freely!!

Another quick test you could do is while the engine is running pull each plug wire off and note if RPMs drop noticeably, they should.. If pulling the wire off of #6 doesn't make a difference then I would do a compression test. Pulling the wires may be easier from the coil pack..

Here's a test that may help too,

__________________
2011 Ranger XLT 2x4,4.0 SOHC, 5 Speed Auto, 3.55 Rear. Oxford White.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Torque it down till it breaks off, then back it off 1/4 turn.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM
JMJ JMJ is offline
U. S. AIR FORCE (Retired)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Rangerman49 and Ranger Local,

I will change the fuel filter, check to see if the EGR valve is operating OK and then try the plug wire test.
One of those three item should solve the probem. It just seems to do the "miss thing" only on the start up. The RPM also fluxes a little after the enging has warmed up and sitting at a light just a little.

The code for the engine check at Auto Zone was #3807, OEM number to cross was P0300.

But any way, thanks gentlemen for the advice and I will go from there. I will let you know what happens................ Thanks again..................JMJ

Last edited by JMJ; 05-06-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Add code
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM
If it works,don't fix it!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 966
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
Rangerman49 and Ranger Local,

I will change the fuel filter, check to see if the EGR valve is operating OK and then try the plug wire test.
One of those three item should solve the probem. It just seems to do the "miss thing" only on the start up. The RPM also fluxes a little after the enging has warmed up and sitting at a light just a little.

The code for the engine check at Auto Zone was #3807, OEM number to cross was P0300.

But any way, thanks gentlemen for the advice and I will go from there. I will let you know what happens................ Thanks again..................JMJ

Code P0300 is: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected.
Knowing the codes helps alot....
here's a video::
__________________
2011 Ranger XLT 2x4,4.0 SOHC, 5 Speed Auto, 3.55 Rear. Oxford White.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Torque it down till it breaks off, then back it off 1/4 turn.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM
JMJ JMJ is offline
U. S. AIR FORCE (Retired)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Rangerman49...

I tried to remove the EGR valve but I can't get the nut on the bottom portion of the valve to break loose. I hope I am looking at the EGR valve and not something else. The valve I believe it the EGR is round and has a vacuum hose coming out of the top center. It had two bolts holding it on. Located on the left side of the engine. About 2 to 3 inched in size.

Is there a trick to break loose that nut or can I do some type of check to see if it is working correctly?. Stupid place to put a nut like that. Must have been an ex-chevy engineer who designed that place to but that valve...........LOL

JMJ
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Ermahgerd Ferd Rernjurs!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,521
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
Rangerman49...

I tried to remove the EGR valve but I can't get the nut on the bottom portion of the valve to break loose. I hope I am looking at the EGR valve and not something else. The valve I believe it the EGR is round and has a vacuum hose coming out of the top center. It had two bolts holding it on. Located on the left side of the engine. About 2 to 3 inched in size.

Is there a trick to break loose that nut or can I do some type of check to see if it is working correctly?. Stupid place to put a nut like that. Must have been an ex-chevy engineer who designed that place to but that valve...........LOL

JMJ
The best thing to break exhaust related bolts loose is Kroil Oil, but not everyone can find it. The next best I think is PB Blaster. Spray it on, let it soak for several hours, and spray some more. I usually put a breaker bar with my socket on it on the nut and work it back and forth after spraying to hopefully break up the surface rust and allow the lubricant to penetrate better. Eventually, after a few days possibly, the nut will break loose. If not, time to break out the torch and heat it up.
__________________
2000 Ranger XL, 2WD, 3.0l, 3.73 rear, 10" rear drum ABS, standard cab, long bed, A/C, 4r44e auto trans w/transgo shift kit, throttle cable mod, air box silencer mod, rear sway bar retrofit, white grill swap, CURT hitch, Westin step bars
Quote:
Originally Posted by writtenaudio View Post
Man wish i had tits, seems like its easier to get a job if you have tits.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM
JMJ JMJ is offline
U. S. AIR FORCE (Retired)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Ranger Local,
Since I could not break the nut loose of the EGR valve I decided I would change the fuel filter instead.
I read one of the post on here how to change the filter. It stated to remove the fuel pump fuse located in the engine compartment and then start up the unit and let it run until it stall out due to lack of gas and then let it set for 3 or so hours and the pressure on the system would be gone. Well, I did that but the problem is when I pulled the fuse the truck would not start.. Now what??? I put the fuse back in and the truck started up so I went out side and pulled the fuse and of course the truck stopped running. Now what do I do????????????? The truck has been setting since 10AM and now going on 1:30PM. Do I crawl under unit and change filter or do I wait a littlle longer. I sure as hell do not want to get all covered with fuel............. Is the pressure on the system gone now or what. Any suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
JMJ JMJ is offline
U. S. AIR FORCE (Retired)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Went on Goggle and search and found out how to change a Ford Ranger fuel filter. piece of cake once I relieve pressure on system. Had no problems disconnecting the 3 fuel line. Had about a cap of fuel come out of the lines and had to drain old filter in bucket.

Had more probem with a small line that is secured on the bottom of the fuel filter bracket. What a PIA. Installed new filter and put the small line in bracket. Secured it all and decided to ck on line and of course it had come out of bracket. Had to loosen filter bracket again and reinstall small line. Secured bracket to frame and started vehicle and let it run a few minutes and checked for leaks. No leaks noted. What a dum ass place to put a line.................

Truck still had a slight miss but maybe it will get better once I run it for a while. Next adventure is to clean or replace the EGR valve. This may be clog up.

Just want you all to know that the truck is running better but who knows I may have to live with that miss. Just wanted to say Thank You for all of your input into my problem.
U all had some great ideas.................Thanks again.................
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 PM
If it works,don't fix it!
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 966
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
Went on Goggle and search and found out how to change a Ford Ranger fuel filter. piece of cake once I relieve pressure on system. Had no problems disconnecting the 3 fuel line. Had about a cap of fuel come out of the lines and had to drain old filter in bucket.

Had more probem with a small line that is secured on the bottom of the fuel filter bracket. What a PIA. Installed new filter and put the small line in bracket. Secured it all and decided to ck on line and of course it had come out of bracket. Had to loosen filter bracket again and reinstall small line. Secured bracket to frame and started vehicle and let it run a few minutes and checked for leaks. No leaks noted. What a dum ass place to put a line.................

Truck still had a slight miss but maybe it will get better once I run it for a while. Next adventure is to clean or replace the EGR valve. This may be clog up.

Just want you all to know that the truck is running better but who knows I may have to live with that miss. Just wanted to say Thank You for all of your input into my problem.
U all had some great ideas.................Thanks again.................
Your welcome ,I hope the video was helpful to..
__________________
2011 Ranger XLT 2x4,4.0 SOHC, 5 Speed Auto, 3.55 Rear. Oxford White.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Torque it down till it breaks off, then back it off 1/4 turn.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Ermahgerd Ferd Rernjurs!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,521
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Keep us posted. Seafoaming would be a good idea at this point too before trying to yank off the EGR. Fuel pressure relieving is kind of optional, it just reduces mess and keeps fuel from shooting into your eyes. If the truck has been sitting overnight, the pressure will be relieved anyway. I always just wait a day then change it and not bother with the fuse. I don't like stalling out my engine.
__________________
2000 Ranger XL, 2WD, 3.0l, 3.73 rear, 10" rear drum ABS, standard cab, long bed, A/C, 4r44e auto trans w/transgo shift kit, throttle cable mod, air box silencer mod, rear sway bar retrofit, white grill swap, CURT hitch, Westin step bars
Quote:
Originally Posted by writtenaudio View Post
Man wish i had tits, seems like its easier to get a job if you have tits.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 AM
JMJ JMJ is offline
U. S. AIR FORCE (Retired)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Well, gentlelmen, here we go again. Started up truck today and it still missing and shaking but after is warmed up for a few minutes the shaking and missing was not that bad but still there. Maybe is just needs a good run. Has been setting for a about 3 days.

It seems once the unit warms up it runs and sounds good.

Ranger Local.................
In your posting you suggest using Seafoam. I assume that you dump the can in your fuel tank, correct. I have 2 cans. I found the Wally World (Walmarts) is the cheapest place to buy most of the chemicals you need. Some auto parts houses are just out of site on items like Seafoam and other chemicals.

Well, dont know where to go from here. I guess I will have to have a compression test done in the near future. Sure as hell hope it not a compression problem. I could understand if this was a old truck but is a 2008 Ranger.............and in this day and age we should not be having these kind of problem for what a car or truck cost these days.....
Thanks again for all of your help. I will keep you posted...............

JMJ
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,798
Default Re: Engine miss.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
...........The code for the engine check at Auto Zone was #3807, OEM number to cross was P0300. .................JMJ
Random misfire, generally caused by lean mixture. So make sure the egr valve is seating correctly and verify that there is no vacuum leak of any kind. Clogging fuel filters initially result in fuel starvation at high engine RPM's, like on freeway on ramps and you're not talking about that, so you don't have a filter issue. Seadouch could be used as a substitute for ford PM-3 on early 4.0's to implement the decarbon TBS, but since you don't have a 4.0 and thus don't have that issue, there is no value in running seadouch in your engine other than to help the manufacturer profit and to wash crap onto your new plugs, with the typical result being carbon fouling and the need for new plugs. Since the DTC was random misfire, that would tend to rule out a single bad injector due to the random thing. IMO, for now, focus on logical things that would cause a lean mix, like vac leak issues and the EGR. You could do a compression test for piece of mind, but I'd expect that it will result in rulling out any mechanical problems. Bonus points if you can find a Ford Factory Service manual and follow the diagnostic procedures for P0300.
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, Sonic Blue
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Ford Rangers
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 206
Default Re: Engine miss.............

put new fuel filter on,for sure.when i bought my 06,it had 53k on it,one of the first things i did was,change fuel filter.then dump some Lucas fuel injector cleaner in it,every 3k or so.mine has 66k now and runs like a swiss watch.
Old retired guy
__________________
06 ranger XL reg cab
3.0 auto/3.73
stock except/235/75r/15's
white A.R.E. Topper
70,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Ermahgerd Ferd Rernjurs!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,521
Default Re: Engine miss.............

P0300 is a random misfire. So as I said before, it's something feeding all engine banks, so it's unlikely to be a compression issue. More than likely a vacuum leak. But, I don't dump Seafoam in the tank. It's a little weak for an injector cleaner. B12 or Lucus is better. But it works great in the brake booster for decarbonization. Anything over 50k usually gets a good benefit from it. Spray some carb cleaner while it's idling around all the hoses and intake and listen for any changes in idle. If you don't hear any, more than likely it's a bad MAF (not likely) or EGR.

And people like cowboybily can have their opinions all they want. But seafoaming has helped all my vehicles, and millions of others. And at $7 a can every 30,000 miles or so, I don't think they're pockets are getting very lined.
__________________
2000 Ranger XL, 2WD, 3.0l, 3.73 rear, 10" rear drum ABS, standard cab, long bed, A/C, 4r44e auto trans w/transgo shift kit, throttle cable mod, air box silencer mod, rear sway bar retrofit, white grill swap, CURT hitch, Westin step bars
Quote:
Originally Posted by writtenaudio View Post
Man wish i had tits, seems like its easier to get a job if you have tits.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1998 engine miss no codes wildcat21 3.0 Vulcan Tech 1 11-04-2012 03:48 PM
engine miss billdallas General Tech 2 07-07-2012 11:44 PM
miss in engine jfarley10 4-Cylinder Tech 1 06-24-2012 05:47 PM
2003 2.3 Engine Miss Any Ideas???? ken7571 4-Cylinder Tech 5 02-24-2011 06:03 PM
2.5 engine miss and cylinder misfire code JimW 4-Cylinder Tech 0 04-04-2010 01:18 PM



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.