Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #31  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
MeanGreen3.0 MeanGreen3.0 is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 80
Default

I wish i had a 2JZ 3.0. drool. neighbor has a red one.

as far as my gearing goes. im satisfied with my 3.73's

hehe i have a spare set of heads from my old truck. tom morano? i think thats the guy. ive heard good things about his cams, valves, etc.

now the safe tune with out knock. what do you mean by the knock?

it sucks to live in the sticks. no tune shops, performance shops, dynos anywhere. theres a few race motor shops. but they deal with late model dirt track cars.
__________________
1997 Ranger primer 5.0 HO T5
1994 Ranger XLT Cayman Metallic 4.0 auto 2wd
1994 Ranger XLT Currant Red reg. fleet side 2.3L 5 speed 2wd
1999 Ranger XLT Jalapeno Green reg. cab flareside bed 3.0L I kind of wrecked this one.
1988 Bronco 2 Eddie Bauer 2.9L OUT OF ORDER
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen3.0 View Post
I wish i had a 2JZ 3.0. drool. neighbor has a red one.

as far as my gearing goes. im satisfied with my 3.73's

hehe i have a spare set of heads from my old truck. tom morano? i think thats the guy. ive heard good things about his cams, valves, etc.

now the safe tune with out knock. what do you mean by the knock?

it sucks to live in the sticks. no tune shops, performance shops, dynos anywhere. theres a few race motor shops. but they deal with late model dirt track cars.
You only have 1 cam.

Knock is the force of combustion action on the piston while it is still traveling up.
__________________
Looking for a professional retrofitter to add HIDs or LEDs to your Ranger? PM me if your looking to have work done, and have cash to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
I'm dying to see this at night. Someone go tell the sun to give up already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef08 View Post
Your the man, you bring our dreams to a reality within the lighting spectrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCobe View Post
Jp7 you always do AMAZING work! Hats off to you sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
People so often confuse "hating" with "knowing better".
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Rogeribanez Rogeribanez is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 26
Default Re: 3.0L performance

So all this talk about how they de-tune your truck from the factory because of emissions is bs? I thought cold air intake, chip and exhaust would enable your truck to breathe better and run more efficiently. If you could give me a simple answer that I can understand why this is wrong I would appreciate it. I have been looking into E-fan's too but the taurus fan looks horrible the way areyouforcereal did it.
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 3.0 V6 Auto 31" BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K&N Cold Air Intake
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-21-2010, 08:04 PM
DHEM DHEM is offline
Resident Red
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,003
Default Re: 3.0L performance

Well there is another way to get more from your 3.0, its called going downhill. lol
__________________
'05 2wd Ranger xl with the 3.0

MODS-Alpine head unit, throttle cable mod, Black Rock wheels, FX4 lvl II axle swap, pooleo's camo painted bezel and mustang dome, painted/aftermarket headlights/tails fold-a-cover and over 100 hp in stickers
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
justin369 justin369 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
Default Re: 3.0L performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
You didn't search before you posted this. Instead of bashing you I will just give you the facts.

The 3.0 comes with a cold air intake from the factory. Changing the intake won't give you any more power, or better economy.

Dual exhaust will slow the exhaust down which causes a loss of torque. This is a fact contrary to a common false statement "you need backpressure to make torque"

Changing the fuel and timing maps will yield performance gains, if you have access to the software to do it.

Your ping under knock is a result of lean mixtures or too much advance under high loads; because something isn't working as good as it used too.
I have a 07 ranger 3.0 w/ dual exhaust / k&N intake . I do have that ping sound some times . And you said too much advance under high loads and lean mixtures ...... Can that mixture be changed , and the advance under high load . Could it also be from taking off fast , and reving the 1st and 2nd gears at too high of rpmS
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Rogeribanez Rogeribanez is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 26
Default Re: 3.0L performance

So basically cold air, exhaust, and chip does nothing? I'm confused!!
__________________
2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 3.0 V6 Auto 31" BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K&N Cold Air Intake
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-15-2010, 06:53 AM
KOMPRESSOR KOMPRESSOR is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17
Question Re: 3.0L performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeribanez View Post
so basically cold air, exhaust, and chip does nothing? I'm confused!!
me too....

My idea is to get a 2000 ranger ext cab v3.0 4x4,
a try an superchip and a 1.7:1 roller rockers from morana site, and with this maybe a k&n,despite all most people here say's ,their are worthless,haha, hope someone enlightend us...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: 3.0L performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin369 View Post
I have a 07 ranger 3.0 w/ dual exhaust / k&N intake . I do have that ping sound some times . And you said too much advance under high loads and lean mixtures ...... Can that mixture be changed , and the advance under high load . Could it also be from taking off fast , and reving the 1st and 2nd gears at too high of rpmS
Something is wrong causing it to ping. You might have a fuel problem, or buildup in the head. You should concentrate on fixing what is causing the knock instead of detuning it to deal with the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: 3.0L performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogeribanez View Post
So basically cold air, exhaust, and chip does nothing? I'm confused!!
"cold air" intake comes from the factory.

An example of someone who would gain by using a "cold air" intake would be the older cars with the big saucer shaped intake on top of a hot-V Motor. Plumbing the intake away from the rising heat would indeed make a difference.

a "chip" is just a different set of fuel and timing maps that may increase performance at the cost of more wear on an engine, or less headroom between what will cause wear. Read some of my posts on ignition and fuel maps - the information is out here. When I say "wear" I mean abnormal wear, or excessive wear (knock for example)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-16-2010, 06:38 AM
KOMPRESSOR KOMPRESSOR is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17
Question Re: 3.0L performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
"cold air" intake comes from the factory.

An example of someone who would gain by using a "cold air" intake would be the older cars with the big saucer shaped intake on top of a hot-V Motor. Plumbing the intake away from the rising heat would indeed make a difference.

a "chip" is just a different set of fuel and timing maps that may increase performance at the cost of more wear on an engine, or less headroom between what will cause wear. Read some of my posts on ignition and fuel maps - the information is out here. When I say "wear" I mean abnormal wear, or excessive wear (knock for example)
SO, you recommend the superchip to gain some little hp and maybe some mpg too, or not?? my idea it's to buy one and the 1.7:1 roller rockers
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
DISABLE ADBLOCK: LOLZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,438
Default Re: 3.0L performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMPRESSOR View Post
SO, you recommend the superchip to gain some little hp and maybe some mpg too, or not?? my idea it's to buy one and the 1.7:1 roller rockers
I've never remapped any of my ECU's on my trucks so I don't know how much headroom the tune has. I can not give you hard numbers to make a decision on. Remember 90% of the cars I tune are Mitsu/Subaru.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 AM
dezertracer32 dezertracer32 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Default Re: 3.0L performance

hey im also looking into some performance parts. does anyone know if jba headers are worth the money??? i race with ppl that run them, but has anyone on here ran em yet? also, what can help with the gas mileage??

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-05-2010, 12:51 PM
droido256 droido256 is offline
Vulcan
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31
Talking Re: 3.0L performance

kind of a observation, but am I the only one who is pretty happy with the standard power of the 3.0? Yeah it doesnt throw you into the back seat like my 3.3 intrepid would from a stoplight, but watching the speedo, it, to me, again my opinion lol, it seems to accelerate pretty decently, and faster than it "feels". Now Im not saying it's a race car, but I dont think the acceleration is THAT bad, it's a helluva lot faster than that GMC we had with that crappy vortec. Ugh I hated driving that thing.
__________________
2001 Medium Wedgewood blue XLT 4 door

3.0 Vulcan totally stock 193,501k miles. Automatic
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 PM
EMB1230 EMB1230 is offline
On my 3rd Ranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,398
Send a message via AIM to EMB1230 Send a message via Yahoo to EMB1230 Send a message via Skype™ to EMB1230
Default Re: 3.0L performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by droido256 View Post
kind of a observation, but am I the only one who is pretty happy with the standard power of the 3.0? Yeah it doesnt throw you into the back seat like my 3.3 intrepid would from a stoplight, but watching the speedo, it, to me, again my opinion lol, it seems to accelerate pretty decently, and faster than it "feels". Now Im not saying it's a race car, but I dont think the acceleration is THAT bad, it's a helluva lot faster than that GMC we had with that crappy vortec. Ugh I hated driving that thing.
Truth be told, when EMPTY the 3.0 does have fairly decent get up and go. However, when it's loaded down, that's when you can feel how underpowered they are.
__________________
1987 2.3/TK5, 125K.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-05-2010, 05:13 PM
droido256 droido256 is offline
Vulcan
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 31
Smile Re: 3.0L performance

To me it wasn't that much of a bog down when I had it loaded, and I mean LOOOOAAAAAAAAAADDDDED lmao. Yeah its no gt500, but not AS bad as many say lol
__________________
2001 Medium Wedgewood blue XLT 4 door

3.0 Vulcan totally stock 193,501k miles. Automatic
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Performance chip Boe 3.0 Vulcan Tech 4 02-23-2010 10:51 AM
Performance chip Boe Electrical Tech 2 10-12-2009 10:20 AM
2.3 liter performance munkirench 4-Cylinder Tech 2 10-11-2009 10:39 AM
2.9 performance camoranger 2.9 Liter Tech 23 09-23-2009 07:24 AM
performance or not mhisel Drivetrain Tech 4 08-23-2009 02:48 PM