Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
R_Casey R_Casey is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

I had this issue also. I had a check engine light on and the codes in the computer were lean burn codes. I found leaks and cracks in the PVC hose. I wanted to take the easy route and fix it on the cheap but did not want to leave the intake manifold uncovered so I bought the assembly from the dealer for around 65 bucks. My truck is all factory at 147k miles so I decided to keep it that way. Ford did redo the new hose in a ribbed design so it will not collapse.
After replacing the assembly(on a cool engine) I reset the light by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery and so far so good.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Randy77 Randy77 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

How do you get the long tube to fit into the housing since there is only a few inches between there and the firewall? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 AM
rking4500 rking4500 is offline
robkingranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

Just did this 4 weeks ago. If you buy the PCV from ford, its about 60.00. the long tube bends so just pull it out and and bend it slightly. Mine looked EXACTLY like you posted in the picture. you can just buy the elbow, it comes with the long rod, PCV valve and 90'. Should take 15 min. ONLY FORD SELLS THIS PART.
__________________
2003 Ford Ranger Edge. 3.0 Flex Fuel. Flowmaster 40 dump.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Dropped&chopped Dropped&chopped is offline
Suspected Scammer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 717
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett20 View Post
What's the valve even do lol. I got 45k miles on my truck, should it be replaced?
Positive crankshaft ventilation..The air your motor sucks in to run has to have a place to leave. It leaves through the PCV valve. If the Pcv valve is clogged it will find a place to escape. Whether it be valve covers oil pan gasket etc etc etc. The PCV valve should sound like a babys rattler *crisp* if it doesnt it needs to be replaced..They rec changing it every 75k miles @ my shop, Its only like $14 and well worth it

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking4500 View Post
Just did this 4 weeks ago. If you buy the PCV from ford, its about 60.00. the long tube bends so just pull it out and and bend it slightly. Mine looked EXACTLY like you posted in the picture. you can just buy the elbow, it comes with the long rod, PCV valve and 90'. Should take 15 min. ONLY FORD SELLS THIS PART.
no shit? I'll bring some home and sell on here for $10

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy77 View Post
How do you get the long tube to fit into the housing since there is only a few inches between there and the firewall? Any suggestions?
any hose will suffice just make sure its got a good connection

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap110680 View Post
I just bought 3/8" fuel hose and 5/8 heater hose and found a reducer bushing to connect it at the hardware store. Cut to length and fit great with no zipties needed. Cost me about $3 and is probably as good or better than stock. I did not want to pay $40 for a hose.
Later,
Chris
thats fine i usually use old spark plug wire caps to connect if the OEM hose is cracked.. WORKS GREAT
__________________
1998 ford ranger STOCK http://www.facebook.com/Iddipthat
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-23-2013, 03:58 PM
skaduke skaduke is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

thanks for the posts everyone. i just changed the pcv connector assembly, 2L5Z-6C324-CA. bought it at the dealership for $75. quite expensive, but the whole installation only took about 15 minutes, so it was worth it as compared to fooling around with different pieces of tubing. i was able to pull the long tube out of the inlet housing by pulling the whole assembly in towards the firewall and bending the tube. i actually had to bend it quite a bit, but it didn't break or kink it, so i think it's good. you can see from the "before" picture that there was quite a bit of sludge around the pcv valve. i keep track of my gas mileage and have noticed a 2-3 mpg drop over the last few months as i've noticed the valve gunk up. i've also noticed reduced horse-power as i've gone up hills during this same period. i took the ranger out for a test drive now that it's fixed and the power up hills seems better. i'll post another message in a few weeks after i've had some time to get statistics on the gas mileage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old_part_with_number.jpg (79.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg before.jpg (77.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (84.7 KB, 97 views)
__________________
2003 Ranger, 3L V6

Last edited by skaduke; 02-23-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: changed part number
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 AM
JSobo JSobo is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 250
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaduke View Post
thanks for the posts everyone. i just changed the pcv connector assembly, 2L5Z-6C324-CA. bought it at the dealership for $75. quite expensive, but the whole installation only took about 15 minutes, so it was worth it as compared to fooling around with different pieces of tubing. i was able to pull the long tube out of the inlet housing by pulling the whole assembly in towards the firewall and bending the tube. i actually had to bend it quite a bit, but it didn't break or kink it, so i think it's good. you can see from the "before" picture that there was quite a bit of sludge around the pcv valve. i keep track of my gas mileage and have noticed a 2-3 mpg drop over the last few months as i've noticed the valve gunk up. i've also noticed reduced horse-power as i've gone up hills during this same period. i took the ranger out for a test drive now that it's fixed and the power up hills seems better. i'll post another message in a few weeks after i've had some time to get statistics on the gas mileage.
How's your gas mileage, did it improve any?

I just changed the pcv connector assembly on my truck, the old one was collapsing too. Just wondering, after inserting the tube into the plenum on mine, I had to really pull the hose portion back (away from firewall) to get the pcv into the grommet leaving a bit of tension on that 90 degree bend. Was yours like that too?
__________________
_______________________________________________
2003 XL 3.0, Automatic, 2WD, A/C, 7' Bed w/Spray Liner, 181,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,975
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSobo View Post
How's your gas mileage, did it improve any?

I just changed the pcv connector assembly on my truck, the old one was collapsing too. Just wondering, after inserting the tube into the plenum on mine, I had to really pull the hose portion back (away from firewall) to get the pcv into the grommet leaving a bit of tension on that 90 degree bend. Was yours like that too?
I was just about to link this thread over to yours lol! i thought it might be relevant, if you hadn'e already read through here haha
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Blakplague Blakplague is offline
3.0 Lightning
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 272
Send a message via AIM to Blakplague Send a message via Yahoo to Blakplague
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

You want to find the 3.0l Vulcan Taurus, not the Duratec. My UIM off of a Taurus and the PCV adapter worked just fine.
__________________
Red 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0L XLT, Mods: Throttle Cable Mod, Composite Manifold Conversion, 67mm Throttle Body, Exhaust Dumped behind Cats, EGR Delete, MAF Mount, Electric Fan Swap, Super Chips Tuner, Transmission Cooler, Overhead console, V-Line V713 Sledge 16" Rims w/ PIRELLI Scorpion ATR's, Chrome Surestep Bumper, DUAL 550BT Receiver w/ Bluetooth, 12" Pioneer & 10" Sony Xplod Stacked Truck Boxes with 1200watt BOSS Amp, Optima Yellow Top, Painted Radio Bezel, OHC, and Door Handles.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 AM
skaduke skaduke is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

JSobo, I've included MPG data before and after I replaced the PCV hose system. Its also a PDF attachment that is probably a little easier to read. It seems that the MPG may not have been affected by the PCV system. In fact, after replacement, the MPG went down. This is probably a consequence of the testing I did of the truck, as well as the ambient air temperature. I decided to plot all of my historical MPG history back to when I bought the truck (end of 2002). I've included that as an image, although I'm not sure the quality is great. A few take-aways from the plot is that mileage during the winter is worst, and mileage during the summer is best. Also, I tend to go on longer trips during July 4th, Thanksgiving and Xmas, so my mileage is consistently higher there, and I have many more data points. Comparing the mileage around the PCV hose issue to historical data, the data is not significantly different, in fact, it falls right in line. So perhaps the PCV system only improves mileage in situations where high HP is needed, ie more engine blowby. I think this is why i noticed better power up hills, but to be honest, my commute is not very hilly, so i don't have this issue often. I actually drove over to a hilly area for the testing where I had originally noticed the issue. To better understand the relationship b/w temperature and mileage, I downloaded some data from a gov't website but need some time to incorporate that, so that'll be a future post.

Date Current_Miles Miles_Driven Filled Gallon Price MPG
11/20/2012 112984 119 7.265 3.579 $26.00 22.7
11/20/2012 113224 240 10.580 3.549 $37.55 21.3
11/23/2012 113541 317 14.884 3.359 $50.00 22.9
11/24/2012 113858 317 13.870 3.599 $49.92 18.7
12/4/2012 114104 246 13.162 3.499 $46.05 15.8
12/13/2012 114320 216 13.707 3.479 $47.69 16.4
12/19/2012 114465 145 8.851 3.479 $30.79 17.0
12/21/2012 114525 60 3.531 3.479 $12.28 20.9
12/22/2012 114826 301 14.368 3.759 $54.01 21.7
12/24/2012 115032 206 9.497 3.399 $32.28 20.1
12/25/2012 115152 120 5.977 3.179 $19.00 22.0
12/25/2012 115343 191 8.701 3.559 $30.97 15.5
1/7/2013 115553 210 13.524 3.459 $46.78 16.5
1/14/2013 115719 166 10.057 3.359 $33.78 14.4
1/26/2013 115899 180 12.493 3.399 $42.46 14.2
2/5/2013 116087 188 13.196 3.559 $46.96 16.0
2/17/2013 116295 208 13.022 3.899 $50.77 16.7
2/28/2013 116513 218 13.040 3.659 $47.71 16.0
3/14/2013 116723 210 13.109 3.679 $48.23 15.7
3/25/2013 116925 202 12.826 3.679 $47.19 17.8
3/31/2013 117150 225 12.626 3.649 $46.07 17.0
4/6/2013 117361 211 12.384 3.639 $45.07 17.4

Regarding installation, I did not notice tension on the 90 degree bend. After replacement, it fit identically as it had from the factory installation. Is the rubber sleeve fully seated on the intake housing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yearly-gas-mileage.jpg (20.2 KB, 19 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf selected_MPG.pdf (14.7 KB, 3 views)
__________________
2003 Ranger, 3L V6

Last edited by skaduke; 04-14-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: addtional comment
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 AM
JSobo JSobo is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 250
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaduke View Post
JSobo, I've included MPG data before and after I replaced the PCV hose system. Its also a PDF attachment that is probably a little easier to read. It seems that the MPG may not have been affected by the PCV system. In fact, after replacement, the MPG went down. This is probably a consequence of the testing I did of the truck, as well as the ambient air temperature. I decided to plot all of my historical MPG history back to when I bought the truck (end of 2002). I've included that as an image, although I'm not sure the quality is great. A few take-aways from the plot is that mileage during the winter is worst, and mileage during the summer is best. Also, I tend to go on longer trips during July 4th, Thanksgiving and Xmas, so my mileage is consistently higher there, and I have many more data points. Comparing the mileage around the PCV hose issue to historical data, the data is not significantly different, in fact, it falls right in line. So perhaps the PCV system only improves mileage in situations where high HP is needed, ie more engine blowby. I think this is why i noticed better power up hills, but to be honest, my commute is not very hilly, so i don't have this issue often. I actually drove over to a hilly area for the testing where I had originally noticed the issue. To better understand the relationship b/w temperature and mileage, I downloaded some data from a gov't website but need some time to incorporate that, so that'll be a future post.

Date Current_Miles Miles_Driven Filled Gallon Price MPG
11/20/2012 112984 119 7.265 3.579 $26.00 22.7
11/20/2012 113224 240 10.580 3.549 $37.55 21.3
11/23/2012 113541 317 14.884 3.359 $50.00 22.9
11/24/2012 113858 317 13.870 3.599 $49.92 18.7
12/4/2012 114104 246 13.162 3.499 $46.05 15.8
12/13/2012 114320 216 13.707 3.479 $47.69 16.4
12/19/2012 114465 145 8.851 3.479 $30.79 17.0
12/21/2012 114525 60 3.531 3.479 $12.28 20.9
12/22/2012 114826 301 14.368 3.759 $54.01 21.7
12/24/2012 115032 206 9.497 3.399 $32.28 20.1
12/25/2012 115152 120 5.977 3.179 $19.00 22.0
12/25/2012 115343 191 8.701 3.559 $30.97 15.5
1/7/2013 115553 210 13.524 3.459 $46.78 16.5
1/14/2013 115719 166 10.057 3.359 $33.78 14.4
1/26/2013 115899 180 12.493 3.399 $42.46 14.2
2/5/2013 116087 188 13.196 3.559 $46.96 16.0
2/17/2013 116295 208 13.022 3.899 $50.77 16.7
2/28/2013 116513 218 13.040 3.659 $47.71 16.0
3/14/2013 116723 210 13.109 3.679 $48.23 15.7
3/25/2013 116925 202 12.826 3.679 $47.19 17.8
3/31/2013 117150 225 12.626 3.649 $46.07 17.0
4/6/2013 117361 211 12.384 3.639 $45.07 17.4

Regarding installation, I did not notice tension on the 90 degree bend. After replacement, it fit identically as it had from the factory installation. Is the rubber sleeve fully seated on the intake housing?
skaduke, wow I'm impressed at your meticulous record keeping for gas mileage!

The sleeve was seated but I had the hose twisted up a bit, just twisted it back and now it is better. I must have torqued it during installation, had a bit of a hard time getting mine in.
__________________
_______________________________________________
2003 XL 3.0, Automatic, 2WD, A/C, 7' Bed w/Spray Liner, 181,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:26 AM
skaduke skaduke is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

JSobo,

I had a little free time so I plotted the MPG versus temperature for the last nine years of data (attached). Shows that every 20 degrees F the truck loses or gains 1 MPG. The plot shows again the difference between city and highway is about 4-5 MPG. Also, if one extrapolates down to 0 degrees F, the y-intercept would be around 14.5 MPG if one were to only use the city driving data. Having both sets of data in the plot corrupts the line fit a little, but one can see the trend by eye and shift it down appropriately.

It's surprising to me that highway driving in the winter would suffer any MPG loss. After all, for most of the trip, the engine should be at running temperature. Perhaps the tires lose efficiency? My wife suggested that the battery charging is less efficient at colder temperatures. I don't know enough about the electrical system to confirm this, ie does the car always run directly off the battery, but the alternator charges it, or after starting, does everything run directly off alternator power. If the battery was in the loop as a power reservoir, this could be a factor. Perhaps if one were to keep the battery heated by running a coolant line around it, it could help?

Good to hear you got it seated appropriately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPG_vs_TempFahrenheit.jpg (16.3 KB, 20 views)
__________________
2003 Ranger, 3L V6
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM
RoberticusMaximus RoberticusMaximus is offline
<<< Husky the High Dog!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,975
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaduke View Post
JSobo,

I had a little free time so I plotted the MPG versus temperature for the last nine years of data (attached). Shows that every 20 degrees F the truck loses or gains 1 MPG. The plot shows again the difference between city and highway is about 4-5 MPG. Also, if one extrapolates down to 0 degrees F, the y-intercept would be around 14.5 MPG if one were to only use the city driving data. Having both sets of data in the plot corrupts the line fit a little, but one can see the trend by eye and shift it down appropriately.

It's surprising to me that highway driving in the winter would suffer any MPG loss. After all, for most of the trip, the engine should be at running temperature. Perhaps the tires lose efficiency? My wife suggested that the battery charging is less efficient at colder temperatures. I don't know enough about the electrical system to confirm this, ie does the car always run directly off the battery, but the alternator charges it, or after starting, does everything run directly off alternator power. If the battery was in the loop as a power reservoir, this could be a factor. Perhaps if one were to keep the battery heated by running a coolant line around it, it could help?

Good to hear you got it seated appropriately.
being as when my alternator died a while back, the lights were still on & the powerpoint read about 12.3 volts (shoudl be about 14V with alternator working properly), i'd say the battery is still directly powering accessories just like when Key On Engine Off.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Erback2 Erback2 is offline
Eric
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap110680 View Post
I just bought 3/8" fuel hose and 5/8 heater hose and found a reducer bushing to connect it at the hardware store. Cut to length and fit great with no zipties needed. Cost me about $3 and is probably as good or better than stock. I did not want to pay $40 for a hose.
Later,
Chris
I want to do what you did. My hose is collapsed and need to know how and what you used to connect the 5/8 heater hose to where the larger opening is on the intake cover . Picture?

Thanks,

Eric
__________________
2002 Mazda B3000 Ext Cab, Auto, PW, PDL, AC, Cruise, 137k miles
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Nauvoo Nauvoo is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 14
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

I just recently purchased my Ranger and it needed this hose as well. Autozone had it in their help/pcv section. It was around $3. Im sure other parts stores would have it also. Hope this helps.
__________________
'02 Edge Ext cab 3.0 5speed
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Paul_B Paul_B is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Default Re: Does Ford sell this PCV hose?

Here's a good write up on the function of the PCV valve. I recently found it on another thread in this forum.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/pcv-replace/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
!993 Ford Ranger - Parting out or sell whole TC93Ranger Trucks 17 11-23-2009 05:51 AM
CAI hose attachment RANGER @ GT 4-Cylinder Tech 1 11-08-2009 10:11 AM
1991 ford ranger 1,000 $ need to sell asap Rangerboy101 Trucks 0 06-24-2009 12:05 PM
how much would a ford ranger sell for? imawesome General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 12-06-2008 10:55 AM
WIll I have to sell my truck (98 Ford Ranger), or can I carry my baby in it? Kelly C General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 11-27-2008 12:01 AM