Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Fx4wannabe01 Fx4wannabe01 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,058
Default

Adam....first and foremost, what's your gear ratio and your tire size???






My truck when you run the numbers is geared at 4.26:1 on 30.5" tires. I can shift to 2nd at 5-15mph under normal throttle, when I'm on the gas, that that jump up to 30 then I get close to the limiter. RPM's change if you hold the shift til later. What rpm are you shifting?

Do you have like 4.10's and 25's?
__________________
'01 XLT disguised as a '03 Fx4 Level II.

Last edited by Fx4wannabe01; 12-07-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 AM
mwolverine8 mwolverine8 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
Adam....first and foremost, what's your gear ratio and your tire size???






My truck when you run the numbers is geared at 4.26:1 on 30.5" tires. I can shift to 2nd at 5-15mph under normal throttle, when I'm on the gas, that that jump up to 30 then I get close to the limiter. RPM's change if you hold the shift til later. What rpm are you shifting?

Do you have like 4.10's

3.73 is my current. tires are P215/70R14

14 inch tire?
i have 3.73 axle and stock tires. i think they are 15s?
__________________
1997 Ranger XLT V6 3.0L Manual
Flowmaster 40's
SunPro Tachometer
More to come..

Last edited by mwolverine8; 12-07-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Turn&Burn Turn&Burn is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 94
Default

well i have a 95 and i can get 35mph before i have to shift. what year is you ranger wolverine? i have the 3.0 5 speed.
__________________
95 3.0L 5 speed



not always the brightest tool in the box. but will always look for help when need be....
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
mwolverine8 mwolverine8 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn&Burn View Post
well i have a 95 and i can get 35mph before i have to shift. what year is you ranger wolverine? i have the 3.0 5 speed.
'97 3.0L 5 speed manual, 5th gear is OD. When i get my tach on, ill know what the rpms are, but just listening to the engine and feeling the truck, they are darn high at about 10 or a lil under.

i have a 3.73 gear ratio.
__________________
1997 Ranger XLT V6 3.0L Manual
Flowmaster 40's
SunPro Tachometer
More to come..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Turn&Burn Turn&Burn is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 94
Default

idk what i have at the moment but it should be around 3000. then your power band should hit at 5000 and bump you up to 30 by 5500ish i have a 98 and it does that.
__________________
95 3.0L 5 speed



not always the brightest tool in the box. but will always look for help when need be....
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Fx4wannabe01 Fx4wannabe01 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,058
Default

oh balls....no tach. okay. gotta ask....are you used to automatics? Modern automatics shift pretty darn low compared to the same number of gears manuals. I think alot of this "problem" just has to do with your mind thinking the rpms are way to high, when in reality, they aren't all to high.

As mentioned in your other thread, you'd benefit from 3.55's or 3.28's. I wouldn't go so highly geared as 3.07's or whatever because I feel you'd lose too much low end grunt.
__________________
'01 XLT disguised as a '03 Fx4 Level II.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 PM
mwolverine8 mwolverine8 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
oh balls....no tach. okay. gotta ask....are you used to automatics? Modern automatics shift pretty darn low compared to the same number of gears manuals. I think alot of this "problem" just has to do with your mind thinking the rpms are way to high, when in reality, they aren't all to high.

As mentioned in your other thread, you'd benefit from 3.55's or 3.28's. I wouldn't go so highly geared as 3.07's or whatever because I feel you'd lose too much low end grunt.
indeed. no im not used to automatics, all i drive is a manual, the way i tell is when my car stops accelerating much at around 15 and the engine is very loud. Now i wont say i couldnt make it to like 20-25, but i know that there is no way thats good for the engine. But we will see what the tach say... --(amazes me how a tach doesnt come with a manual, so many uses.)--


also what exactly do you mean by low end grunt?
__________________
1997 Ranger XLT V6 3.0L Manual
Flowmaster 40's
SunPro Tachometer
More to come..

Last edited by mwolverine8; 12-07-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Turn&Burn Turn&Burn is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 94
Default

tach were an option for rangers. tach were standard equipment in 98 i know for a fact. my 95 it was an option. and being a 97 i am not surprised you do not have one
__________________
95 3.0L 5 speed



not always the brightest tool in the box. but will always look for help when need be....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Fx4wannabe01 Fx4wannabe01 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,058
Default

Standard on V6's beginning in '98 I wanna say, and standard all across the board in '01.



"low end grunt" I mean the acceleration factor. Getting you up to speed. Putting a numberically lower geared axle in the truck will have the same effect of putting larger tires on the truck. To play around, find someone iwth a jeep or another ranger with bigger tires like 235/75R15's. Throw 'em on the back and take a drive. It'll simulate how the truck will drive will a higher geared(numberically lower number) axle. It's likely everything on the truck is stock and I don't see there being an issue whatsoever. If anything, your current ratio to tire is about perfect for your powerband.
__________________
'01 XLT disguised as a '03 Fx4 Level II.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-08-2009, 10:14 AM
mwolverine8 mwolverine8 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
Standard on V6's beginning in '98 I wanna say, and standard all across the board in '01.



"low end grunt" I mean the acceleration factor. Getting you up to speed. Putting a numberically lower geared axle in the truck will have the same effect of putting larger tires on the truck. To play around, find someone iwth a jeep or another ranger with bigger tires like 235/75R15's. Throw 'em on the back and take a drive. It'll simulate how the truck will drive will a higher geared(numberically lower number) axle. It's likely everything on the truck is stock and I don't see there being an issue whatsoever. If anything, your current ratio to tire is about perfect for your powerband.
o ok. no i dont wanna lose too much low end grunt, but i do wanna get up to a higher speed in first gear.
__________________
1997 Ranger XLT V6 3.0L Manual
Flowmaster 40's
SunPro Tachometer
More to come..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 PM
ppeterso2 ppeterso2 is offline
Learning to use the forums
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
oh balls....no tach..... I think alot of this "problem" just has to do with your mind thinking the rpms are way to high, when in reality, they aren't all to high.
AMEN! I bought my first Ranger;a manual (my2000 3.0 V-6), just last month (Jan 2010). I only buy manual vehicles and owned a few Mustang Gt's over the years. Let me tell you, you may not be used to the characteristics of that motor with it's crazy clutch fan (mine even has a heavy duty clutch fan on it....loud!). Where am I going with this?? I don't have a tach on mine either and I THOUGHT that I was near the redline because of the sound--but I wasn't even CLOSE. I hooked up my electronic tester to the OBDII port to do datastream and what I thought was near redline was like 2400rpm..LOL!! Between that and that tornado of an clutch fan, I thought I was gonna blow it up! I'm rather sure that you first gear will near 28-30mph before redline--but, hey, I'm definitely no ranger expert.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-08-2010, 09:39 AM
mwolverine8 mwolverine8 is offline
Ford Ranger Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeterso2 View Post
AMEN! I bought my first Ranger;a manual (my2000 3.0 V-6), just last month (Jan 2010). I only buy manual vehicles and owned a few Mustang Gt's over the years. Let me tell you, you may not be used to the characteristics of that motor with it's crazy clutch fan (mine even has a heavy duty clutch fan on it....loud!). Where am I going with this?? I don't have a tach on mine either and I THOUGHT that I was near the redline because of the sound--but I wasn't even CLOSE. I hooked up my electronic tester to the OBDII port to do datastream and what I thought was near redline was like 2400rpm..LOL!! Between that and that tornado of an clutch fan, I thought I was gonna blow it up! I'm rather sure that you first gear will near 28-30mph before redline--but, hey, I'm definitely no ranger expert.
Yeah I just got a mustang this past week and it is so much different. I can goto like 30 in first gear. It hauls ass. I'm beating hondas and acuras and all sorts of stuff. Best car I've ever driven
__________________
1997 Ranger XLT V6 3.0L Manual
Flowmaster 40's
SunPro Tachometer
More to come..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'93w/218K 6 cyl manual XLT ranger owner. hi everyone!!! suzikg Introduce Yourself 5 09-17-2009 06:36 PM
01 ranger Question... BSho Exhaust and Mufflers 1 05-14-2009 07:25 AM
2002 Ranger 4 cylinder manual - strange noise steveb8699 General Ford Ranger Discussion 2 04-20-2009 08:29 PM
ford ranger 1991 problem with manual ? GREGGER General Ford Ranger Discussion 1 12-25-2008 04:55 PM