Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 07-10-2011, 03:33 PM
94XLT 94XLT is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Default NEWBIE POST! SOME QUESTIONS! NO AC in truck.

Hello All,

Just had my 94' XLT 3.0 dropped off to me today. I got it for 0.00 Zilch Zippo!

Anyway, I am a very accomplished mechanic so the basic mechanical stuff is easy for me. I do have a couple questions related specifically to the truck.

1: This truck was bought with NO A/C, what options are there to add it? Can the stock stuff be picked up at a junk yard and what parts are needed? It looks like the compressor mounts above the power steering pump and I just need a longer belt? Are the radiators different for A/C or No A/C? I assume a new heater box is needed with an evaporator.
Oh yeah it is a 5 speed truck.

2: Here is the list of things I am replacing are there other common things to look out for?

Rear shackles and perches.
Fuel Pump (pin hole leak in the outlet so it needs to be replaced)
Fuel Filter
rear brakes and brake lines
tune-up

Any help is welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 PM
HazardousRanger HazardousRanger is offline
Hazardous to Your Health!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: NEWBIE POST! SOME QUESTIONS! NO AC in truck.

plan on lifting it? might as well get lift shackles while you are at it...

welcome to frf!
__________________
Ford Ranger Edge Supercab, 2004 3.0 Auto, 2WD, 4.10 Axle 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's


My Truck Is My Mountain Bike's Ride!

Class III hitch, Rhino Bedliner, Almost Maxed T-Bar Crank, Tuff Country Add A Leaf, Custom Low Anchor Points, OEM ('99) Tow Hooks, Pro Comp Offroad Lights , Mustang Dome Light, Clear Corners, Slim Toolbox, Blinker Mod,Cargo Brake Light Mod,Expo Lighted Visors, Ultra Silverstar heads/fogs, Fog/high mod, Reverse/switched lights, Bike Fork Mounts
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM
wangbungal wangbungal is offline
Ford Ranger 1997 3.0 V6
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 239
Default Re: NEWBIE POST! SOME QUESTIONS! NO AC in truck.

welcome! my ranger has no ac when i bought it, i installed ac,donor came from 1995 ranger from junkyard, grab condenser, lines and controls,the one from inside the truck, the accumulator, i suggest you buy a new one and a compressor new or rebuilt, if you go to junkyard,and grab parts for ac,you can grab from 1993-1997,make sure same engine ie. 3.0 v6 and if you could find a donor that still ac pressure on it,much better,it means the ac system is ok and no leaks on lines, good luck hope this helps!
__________________
1997 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 2WD

Nothing special lol,
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 PM
94XLT 94XLT is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Default Re: NEWBIE POST! SOME QUESTIONS! NO AC in truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangbungal View Post
welcome! my ranger has no ac when i bought it, i installed ac,donor came from 1995 ranger from junkyard, grab condenser, lines and controls,the one from inside the truck, the accumulator, i suggest you buy a new one and a compressor new or rebuilt, if you go to junkyard,and grab parts for ac,you can grab from 1993-1997,make sure same engine ie. 3.0 v6 and if you could find a donor that still ac pressure on it,much better,it means the ac system is ok and no leaks on lines, good luck hope this helps!
The heater box I am sure is different also. I think my plan would be to buy a NEW Compressor and Drier/Accumulator. Along with new evaporator, lines and condensor. My biggest concern's are:

1: The bracket holding the Power Steering pump appears to have four bolt holes for the A/C compressor, is this correct?
2: There is a diagram for the belt routing that indicates that there is just a longer belt for A/C so I just get that belt?
3: Is there an idle boost solenoid to kick up the idle when the compressor kicks in?

I guess the best option for me would be to park my dad's 94 B3000 next to it and compare everything since his has A/C

Also, is there a "factory" workshop manual with schematics and diagrams other than the cheapo Haynes from an auto parts store and which one is best.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazardousRanger View Post
plan on lifting it? might as well get lift shackles while you are at it...

welcome to frf!
Actually, NO I am planning to leave it stock. BUT that leads me to a question. There is a broken leaf on the drivers side spring. Is there a source for cheap springs? Rather not go thru the trouble of trying to get from a junk yard. I'd want to change out both anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 AM
wangbungal wangbungal is offline
Ford Ranger 1997 3.0 V6
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 239
Default Re: NEWBIE POST! SOME QUESTIONS! NO AC in truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94XLT View Post

1: The bracket holding the Power Steering pump appears to have four bolt holes for the A/C compressor, is this correct?
2: There is a diagram for the belt routing that indicates that there is just a longer belt for A/C so I just get that belt?
3: Is there an idle boost solenoid to kick up the idle when the compressor kicks in?

I guess the best option for me would be to park my dad's 94 B3000 next to it and compare everything since his has A/C

Also, is there a "factory" workshop manual with schematics and diagrams other than the cheapo Haynes from an auto parts store and which one is best.

yes thats where the compressor sits on that bracket,go in the junkyard and get those bolts,much cheaper,the evaporator is in the blower housing,if you dont have that you might as well get that,junkyard,about the belt, go to autozone, you need serpentine belt, they would ask you for AC or no AC, coz they are diff in length
__________________
1997 Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 2WD

Nothing special lol,
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 AM
HazardousRanger HazardousRanger is offline
Hazardous to Your Health!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,995
Default Re: NEWBIE POST! SOME QUESTIONS! NO AC in truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94XLT View Post
The heater box I am sure is different also. I think my plan would be to buy a NEW Compressor and Drier/Accumulator. Along with new evaporator, lines and condensor. My biggest concern's are:

1: The bracket holding the Power Steering pump appears to have four bolt holes for the A/C compressor, is this correct?
2: There is a diagram for the belt routing that indicates that there is just a longer belt for A/C so I just get that belt?
3: Is there an idle boost solenoid to kick up the idle when the compressor kicks in?

I guess the best option for me would be to park my dad's 94 B3000 next to it and compare everything since his has A/C

Also, is there a "factory" workshop manual with schematics and diagrams other than the cheapo Haynes from an auto parts store and which one is best.

----------



Actually, NO I am planning to leave it stock. BUT that leads me to a question. There is a broken leaf on the drivers side spring. Is there a source for cheap springs? Rather not go thru the trouble of trying to get from a junk yard. I'd want to change out both anyway.

theres add a leaf springs u can buy online..do a google search for them im sure that lmc truck and jc whitney and summit all sell them HOWEVER they are not leaf packs..so im not sure on that part


so what u can do is buy one leaf each side...replace broken leaf and do the same for th eothe side to keep it even...anyways theyre called add a leaf
__________________
Ford Ranger Edge Supercab, 2004 3.0 Auto, 2WD, 4.10 Axle 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO's


My Truck Is My Mountain Bike's Ride!

Class III hitch, Rhino Bedliner, Almost Maxed T-Bar Crank, Tuff Country Add A Leaf, Custom Low Anchor Points, OEM ('99) Tow Hooks, Pro Comp Offroad Lights , Mustang Dome Light, Clear Corners, Slim Toolbox, Blinker Mod,Cargo Brake Light Mod,Expo Lighted Visors, Ultra Silverstar heads/fogs, Fog/high mod, Reverse/switched lights, Bike Fork Mounts
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 semi-quick newbie questions on rearend. redrange02 Drivetrain Tech 1 07-08-2011 02:53 PM
first truck, first ranger, first post zdsnyder Introduce Yourself 6 03-04-2011 09:13 AM
1st post, estiimate value of this truck yocalif General Ford Ranger Discussion 28 10-02-2010 09:07 PM
newbie with questions /: kelstahz General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 04-30-2010 09:36 AM
thought I would post a few pics of the truck here BILTRITE BULLIES Vehicle Snapshots 21 01-01-2010 08:45 AM