Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 05-25-2011, 02:00 AM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Performance Camshaft...

Does anyone know where I can get a performance camshaft, and other valvetrain components for my 3.0? If so what would be the best duration I can get? If custom ground, what is the most duration I can get? My truck is a 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 2WD with a 5 speed manula transmission.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 AM
wvcat wvcat is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 836
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

Tony Morano has them but you might check summit racing or jegs for better pricing.
http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=36
__________________
22 and counting...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM
mickblock mickblock is offline
Get off my lawn
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,059
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

Sounds like a good idea to explore but this sounds like something you'd have to contact a performance tuner and work with them on. I would NOT simply call Jegs or summit tech support except for pricing
__________________
08 4.0 Sport 4x4
Stock
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 AM
matt224 matt224 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 591
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

with a new you will need new springs and possibly valves, might be able to get away with ported heads but doubtful, full boltons and a quality dyno tune (not a cheap handheld tune).
__________________
2006 Fx4 Level 2 with a 5spd, Superlifted on 33's.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcat View Post
Tony Morano has them but you might check summit racing or jegs for better pricing.
http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=36
I've already looked at Tom Morana racing engines for some prices and grinds. He aint too badly priced.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
Sounds like a good idea to explore but this sounds like something you'd have to contact a performance tuner and work with them on. I would NOT simply call Jegs or summit tech support except for pricing
I don't intend to. I use to tune vehicles on the side years ago, but when gas when up like it did I stopped doing it due to no projects. They'll carry some of the parts I'll need but they'll most likely try to sell more shit to me than I need really.


Quote:
Originally Posted by matt224 View Post
with a new you will need new springs and possibly valves, might be able to get away with ported heads but doubtful, full boltons and a quality dyno tune (not a cheap handheld tune).
Oh I know, I can't go too much on the camshaft lift due to drivability issues. A quality tune is no problem. There's a couple of racing shops here locally that tune for the general public and I have used before. The last time I used them it was there for an entire day testing and tuning when needed. Ported and swirl polished heads with a 3 angle valve job, Titainium behive valve springs with stainless steel valves is what I plan on using. If that doesn't work I'll just go and do a V8 swap with comp cams thumpr camshafts.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:47 PM
DiabloBlanco DiabloBlanco is offline
Get Lifted.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,402
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

Tom Morana fosho!
__________________
YZ the way to be!
The Brotherhood!

Mods to come: Camburg entry 6.0 system. FiberwerkX Fenders and bedsides. Tube bumper.
R.I.P. Jeff Ashton. 1992-2011
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

Thanks every one for your help in this matter, It's greatly appreciated.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco View Post
Tom Morana fosho!
Yeah he carries alot of stuff for the old 3.0. Did you see that supercharger intake system he has? he says he's also got a few used M90's in stock, but he doesn't carry any new superchargers for some reason or another.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 PM
doyouquaxu doyouquaxu is offline
Almost ******
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,480
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

why waste your time and money "upgrading" this engine?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 PM
DiabloBlanco DiabloBlanco is offline
Get Lifted.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,402
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

its just a cam?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Thanks every one for your help in this matter, It's greatly appreciated.

----------



Yeah he carries alot of stuff for the old 3.0. Did you see that supercharger intake system he has? he says he's also got a few used M90's in stock, but he doesn't carry any new superchargers for some reason or another.
Honestly I wouldnt Put those old ass Mark90s in the ranger. If you really wanna get more power. Turbo it.
__________________
YZ the way to be!
The Brotherhood!

Mods to come: Camburg entry 6.0 system. FiberwerkX Fenders and bedsides. Tube bumper.
R.I.P. Jeff Ashton. 1992-2011
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyouquaxu View Post
why waste your time and money "upgrading" this engine?
Because I can and why not? People may frown on the 3.0 Vulcan V6 motor, but when you hear one that has had a performance camshaft installed you'd swear it's V8. I heard one at a carshow and have been hooked on it since.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco View Post
its just a cam?

----------



Honestly I wouldnt Put those old ass Mark90s in the ranger. If you really wanna get more power. Turbo it.
I know about old M90 superchargers. He's planning on modifying the intake system he has to work with the M112 supercharger. I've already looked into the turbocharging and it's extremely expensive for a quality made turbo kit. Either way I decide, the engine will have to be rebuilt to acomidate the forced induction system.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com

Last edited by knightmare1015; 05-25-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 PM
DiabloBlanco DiabloBlanco is offline
Get Lifted.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,402
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

Well of course its gonna have to be beefed up, detonating is a bitch.

I was looking into a turbo charger as well. If i cant build it ill probably drop a 302 or a 3.5 ecoboost if i can get my hands on one.
__________________
YZ the way to be!
The Brotherhood!

Mods to come: Camburg entry 6.0 system. FiberwerkX Fenders and bedsides. Tube bumper.
R.I.P. Jeff Ashton. 1992-2011
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco View Post
Well of course its gonna have to be beefed up, detonating is a bitch.

I was looking into a turbo charger as well. If i cant build it ill probably drop a 302 or a 3.5 ecoboost if i can get my hands on one.
I was thinking V8 myself. That ecoboost engine is way the hell up there in terms of price. I got a quote on one today as a matter of fact. They want right at $16,500 for the engine by itself with no tranny. I can get a 572 BBC for less than that. That's the only thing I hate about Ford, they tend to ignore the customer's needs after the initial sale of a vehicle.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:08 PM
doyouquaxu doyouquaxu is offline
Almost ******
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,480
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare1015 View Post
Because I can and why not? People may frown on the 3.0 Vulcan V6 motor, but when you hear one that has had a performance camshaft installed you'd swear it's V8. I heard one at a carshow and have been hooked on it since.
i've heard boosted 3.0s, ones that have nitrous, ones that have this or that done to them, dude. at the end of the day everyone says don't waste your time for a reason. you can spend however much money you want to throw parts at it, machine this or that, bore it out, but when it all comes down to it you can get a 4.0 and do cheaper mods that are less labor/time intensive and have a way better platform. nothing about the 3.0 was designed for power, it was designed for reliability.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 PM
DiabloBlanco DiabloBlanco is offline
Get Lifted.
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,402
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT, im waitin to find a wrecked car in a yard. pull the engine for like 200 bucks lol.

The plus on the ecoboost is it is a V6 and gets like 23 mpg.

302 is gonna suck some gas.
__________________
YZ the way to be!
The Brotherhood!

Mods to come: Camburg entry 6.0 system. FiberwerkX Fenders and bedsides. Tube bumper.
R.I.P. Jeff Ashton. 1992-2011
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 PM
knightmare1015 knightmare1015 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: Performance Camshaft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyouquaxu View Post
i've heard boosted 3.0s, ones that have nitrous, ones that have this or that done to them, dude. at the end of the day everyone says don't waste your time for a reason. you can spend however much money you want to throw parts at it, machine this or that, bore it out, but when it all comes down to it you can get a 4.0 and do cheaper mods that are less labor/time intensive and have a way better platform. nothing about the 3.0 was designed for power, it was designed for reliability.
Yeah I know, I've had a 4.0 before and they're nice to have. I just want something a little better than what I have now. Besides I'm leaning towards a V8 right now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco View Post
SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT, im waitin to find a wrecked car in a yard. pull the engine for like 200 bucks lol.

The plus on the ecoboost is it is a V6 and gets like 23 mpg.

302 is gonna suck some gas.
I know right, I asked them if they were hitting the old crack pipe again. I haven't found one yet in a junk yard. I also told them that I can get a V8 for alot less than that. Then they started to swear up and down a V8 won't fit. I told them to shut the fuck up, I didn't want to hear that bullshit because that's what it is. That Ecoboost is a damn good motor that has the power and torque of a V8, but the fuel economy of a fuel efficient V6.
__________________
SOLD: 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 5 speed



www.knightmare1015.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3.0L V-6 Camshaft Synchronizer mfernandes 3.0 Vulcan Tech 23 01-19-2013 09:57 AM
For Sale: Motorcraft Camshaft Synchronizer 3.0L RoughRanger Engine & Drivetrain Parts 13 03-17-2011 12:43 AM
Want to Buy: 4.0 sohc camshaft wvcat Engine & Drivetrain Parts 1 01-02-2011 04:07 PM
camshaft sensor FCranger 4-Cylinder Tech 6 11-11-2010 07:43 AM
camshaft for 2.3 bene.harrison 4-Cylinder Tech 3 01-30-2010 05:41 PM