Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #16  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:18 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 Mike View Post
whats were the results before and after? cus maybe he had a shit load of carbon build up on his plugs... so maybe he is back to near stock HP lol
Agree

What was the total HP before and what was the total HP after
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:23 PM
2002 2WD Edge 2002 2WD Edge is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 387
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTNGKNG View Post
Hi,

changed stock spark plugs on my 04 ranger edge with E3 and want to know if changing the wires can help with a power increase and mpg increase? If so, any good companies?? thnkz!! :P
Back to the original post. Plug wires...stock are better than ever for many years. Plugs..for a long time too most vehicles have decent platinum plugs. Put the 2 together along with a few other things is why tune-ups are a thing of the past. Getting on 10 years old..warranty over...vehicle still worth spending money on...do it then. Ask opinions and make your own choice. Stick with platinum..or Iridium plugs...that way you may never have to change them again. Plug wires....same thing but maybe more confusion and possible bad choices. A 10% horsepower gain...dyno's are mechanical snakecharmers best friend.
__________________
JBA s.s. headers&exhaust, K&N cold air intake, Bosch Iridium Plus 4 plugs, Royal Purple in motor, 5spd & diff.,Superchips programmer, axle girdle. Also have but yet to install KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and Belltech sway bars.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:25 PM
DRFTNGKNG DRFTNGKNG is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 99
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

btw its an 04 ranger edge with 56,000 original kms. the hp from the dyno was 150.8hp, and 176.1 lb-ft. once finished, dyno results were 160.7hp and 187.9 lb-ft. if you dont believe, try it out. ITS NOT BS!! ITS WRITTEN DOWN ON THE BILL!!! LOOK AT THE ACTUAL WEBSITE TO SEE!!

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...tfamilyid=1602

In all seriousness, try it out. Its no gimmic!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:28 PM
2002 2WD Edge 2002 2WD Edge is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 387
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

OK..I think if the Pope would answer me..he could show me similar..actually printed on paper of the facts regarding the afterlife. Would that change my mind..of course not.
__________________
JBA s.s. headers&exhaust, K&N cold air intake, Bosch Iridium Plus 4 plugs, Royal Purple in motor, 5spd & diff.,Superchips programmer, axle girdle. Also have but yet to install KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and Belltech sway bars.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:29 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTNGKNG View Post
the hp from the dyno was 150.8hp, and 176.1 lb-ft. once
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTNGKNG View Post
finished, dyno results were 160.7hp and 187.9 lb-ft.
Stock HP and torque on your truck is
Horse Power 154hp @ 5200 RPM
Torque: 180 @ 3900 RPM

So the truck was at a lose of hp to begin with. I still don't believe you gained 6hp with the plug change
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:30 PM
FX4 Mike FX4 Mike is offline
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 154
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTNGKNG View Post
btw its an 04 ranger edge with 56,000 original kms. the hp from the dyno was 150.8hp, and 176.1 lb-ft. once finished, dyno results were 160.7hp and 187.9 lb-ft. if you dont believe, try it out. ITS NOT BS!! ITS WRITTEN DOWN ON THE BILL!!! LOOK AT THE ACTUAL WEBSITE TO SEE!!

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...tfamilyid=1602

In all seriousness, try it out. Its no gimmic!!
is that at the wheels?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:40 PM
DRFTNGKNG DRFTNGKNG is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 99
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

um.. well 154 and 180 is from ford and idk if you know but there's a 10-15% loss in hp at the wheels for manual and 20% loss at the wheels if an auto. And that goes for torque as well. ex. ford mustang 2011 with 5.0- ford says 412hp but at the dyno is about 405hp. yes, that is from the wheels.

----------

the losses in hp are friction losses from the trans, driveshaft, axles, plus wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:41 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 Mike View Post
is that at the wheels?
X2 stock HP at the flywheel is 154 HP so there is no way the truck is making 150 HP at the rear wheels. after you factor in approx 15% (being generous) parasitic loss through the drivetrain you would realistically see around 130 HP (at best) at the rear wheels. you cant lie your way out of this one. dyno slips, show them.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:42 PM
FX4 Mike FX4 Mike is offline
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 154
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

i understand what parasitic loss is.... (response to DRFTKNG's Post BTW)

My question is, "160.7hp and 187.9 lb-ft" is that RWHP and RWTQ?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:44 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTNGKNG View Post
um.. well 154 and 180 is from ford and idk if you know but there's a 10-15% loss in hp at the wheels for manual and 20% loss at the wheels if an auto. And that goes for torque as well. ex. ford mustang 2011 with 5.0- ford says 412hp but at the dyno is about 405hp. yes, that is from the wheels.

----------

the losses in hp are friction losses from the trans, driveshaft, axles, plus wheels.
You have no signature as to what exactly your truck is either. All we know is it is a 3.0 single cab ranger
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:45 PM
FX4 Mike FX4 Mike is offline
Ford Motor Co
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 154
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 View Post
X2 stock HP at the flywheel is 154 HP so there is no way the truck is making 150 HP at the rear wheels. after you factor in approx 15% (being generous) parasitic loss through the drivetrain you would realistically see around 130 HP (at best) at the rear wheels. you cant lie your way out of this one. dyno slips, show them.
hey thats what i was trying to get outta him or her (idk lol)... was trying to see if he/she would claim RWHP and then we all flame, DRFTKNG gets disowned and thread becomes locked, lol...

All's good though lol
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:55 PM
DRFTNGKNG DRFTNGKNG is offline
Ford Truck Driver
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 99
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

actually with the edge package, the exhaust is a 2.25inch with a 2.5 inch tip STOCK!! its not a 1 3/4 piping and a 2" tip like the regular 3.0L rangers. the exhaust is similar as the 4.0L rangers. there's a hp increase with the size. ANYWAYZ! i have proof, whether or not anyone believes me or not about these E3 plugs. if you dont believe, buy them and try it out! going back to the original question, can spark plug wires give me hp increase and mpgs??

----------

If you disagree, thats fine. i dont care. i really dont care. all i can say is go to your local parts store, talk to a rep over there and buy some. i felt the hp increase!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 PM
STL STL is offline
...............

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,398
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTNGKNG View Post
actually with the edge package, the exhaust is a 2.25inch with a 2.5 inch tip STOCK!! its not a 1 3/4 piping and a 2" tip like the regular 3.0L rangers. the exhaust is similar as the 4.0L rangers. there's a hp increase with the size. ANYWAYZ! i have proof, whether or not anyone believes me or not about these E3 plugs. if you dont believe, buy them and try it out! going back to the original question, can spark plug wires give me hp increase and mpgs??

----------

If you disagree, thats fine. i dont care. i really dont care. all i can say is go to your local parts store, talk to a rep over there and buy some. i felt the hp increase!!
The Edge package does not have a special exhaust system on it. Who told you that?

There is no spark plug wire out there better then the stock plug wires.
__________________
2005 Edge

Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-26-2010, 08:01 PM
2002 2WD Edge 2002 2WD Edge is offline
Ford Tough
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 387
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

[QUOTE=FX4 Mike;277765]i understand what parasitic loss is.... (response to DRFTKNG's Post BTW)

The only Parasitic loss I'm familiar with is each spring when our government brings out a new Budget. People claiming 10% or more gains to power and such via sparkplugs and such...maybe if their old ones were pitifully neglected and had almost no electrodes left. A well designed exhaust, more open intake, the best plugs, excellent synthetic oils, a programmer,etc. would still not likely give a 10% increase in power or mileage. All those things done..should notice something though..just not that much. I've done them all..the only thing that made a noticeable mileage gain was headers and a free flowing cat back. No 10% increase though...just enough to barely notice a difference. The cost of what I'd done..if I hadn't would have done that, would have paid for extra gas for many years. So what to make of that?
__________________
JBA s.s. headers&exhaust, K&N cold air intake, Bosch Iridium Plus 4 plugs, Royal Purple in motor, 5spd & diff.,Superchips programmer, axle girdle. Also have but yet to install KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and Belltech sway bars.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM
01_ranger_4x4 01_ranger_4x4 is offline
OIF Veteran

 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,043
Default Re: Spark plug wires? Hp increase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL View Post
The Edge package does not have a special exhaust system on it. Who told you that?
X2 and even if it did have a special exhaust there still is no way it makes and extra 34 RWHP because of it. theres not one exhaust system on the market for a ranger today that will ad that much power if any at all to the rear wheels unless there is a turbo in there somewhere.
__________________
2001 Ranger 4x4 Stepside
-RCD Suspension lift
-33x12.5 BFG KM2's on Mickey Thomson classic locks
-4:56 gears
-Auburn gear LS
-James Duff traction bars
-Headers
-Flowmaster duals
-SCT X-Cal2 and some small exterior mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321189

2005 F-150 Lariat 4x4
-LED third brake light
-Weathertech floor liners
-Edge tuner
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faulty Spark Plug Wires? Kierstien 3.0 Vulcan Tech 24 10-27-2011 05:43 AM
spark plug wires paul7475 3.0 Vulcan Tech 2 12-06-2010 02:51 AM
Spark plug wires Zach Electrical Tech 9 07-28-2010 03:42 PM
Spark Plug Wires olfordtruck Electrical Tech 13 09-22-2009 08:36 AM
Spark plug wires ...Ford ranger 94? Jean D General Ford Ranger Discussion 2 12-11-2008 09:44 PM