Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Go Back   Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! > > >
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Welcome to Ford Ranger Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread

  #1  
Old 08-17-2017, 07:57 PM
1stFordRanger 1stFordRanger is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 143
Default bad fuel mileage

I have a stock 01 ranger 3.0 2wd automatic it seems i am going through a lot of gas a week what can cause it. I did a tune up when i bought the truck only thing i havent done is an oil change can that be why i am getting bad gas mileage oh yeah the air filter is a spectrum air filter not stock there but not dirty at all
__________________
1999 Ranger XLT extended cab 4.0 engine 4wd and all stock for now
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2017, 02:30 AM
EaOutlaw1969 EaOutlaw1969 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 901
Default Re: bad fuel mileage

How many miles does your truck have?

Is there a check engine light on?

Does the truck run good, nice and smooth with no noise loud noises coming from the engine?

Do you notice any smoke coming from the exhaust at idle or driving down the road?

How much air do you keep in the tires? How often do you check them?

Have you checked for binding or dragging brakes?

Does the engine oil look black and or smell of fuel?

Have you ever inspected the transmission fluid, U-joints , rear end fluid and axles bearings?

How about the front end alignment do you have good tire wear and does the truck track straight going down the road?

Do you carry unnecessary weight in the truck?

What do you consider a lot of fuel per week? how many miles per gallon do you get?

What kind of roads and terrain do you encounter during most of your driving?

How aggressively do you drive?

How old is the fuel filter?

You said you replaced some ignition parts what brand type and part numbers did you use?

Have you checked for a stretched throttle cable? A stretched throttle cable is common to these trucks and can cause a feeling of low power causing a heavy foot and poor fuel economy.

What gear ratio is listed on the drivers door for the rear end?

Does it match the tag on the rear end?

Someone could have swapped the rear axle assembly and changed the gear ratio while they were at it?

How is the cooling system? is the fluid nice and clean and tested for a proper mixture?

Have you inspected the fuel system, fuel tank and lines for leaks?
Have you checked the evaporative emissions system and fuel filler neck and fuel cap for leaks ?

Is there a warning light on the dash lit up with a picture of a gas cap?

Does that light come on for a few seconds with the key on engine off?

Have you looked at all the vacuum lines, and PCV system to make sure all is well?

Does your temperature gauge work properly and show no signs of overheating?

Have you inspected all your belt driven accessories by removing the belt checking for worn bearings?

The Fan clutch is a commonly neglected part that could fail and contribute to poor fuel economy and higher than normal engine temperatures.

A lot of what I mentioned may seem trivial, but anything that adds to the rolling resistance or engine load will decrease fuel economy and if your truck has suffered from poor maintenance these little commonly neglected parts can add up to a serious drop in fuel economy.

One thing you will here me get up on a soap box often about is a compression test.

I recommend anyone that has purchased a used vehicle to get a baseline test completed to make sure your engine is healthy.

I also recommend connecting a inexpensive vacuum gauge to also check for the health of the engine and to check for restricted exhaust.

These simple test will let you know the overall health of your engine and exhaust.

If you find a problem with either of these two test nothing else you find wrong with the truck will matter until these problems are corrected.
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2 Dr Standard cab 2.3 5 SPD 7.5 373 gears
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2017, 03:23 AM
JAMMANICA JAMMANICA is offline
Craigslist is awesome
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 531
Default Re: bad fuel mileage

"What do you consider a lot of fuel per week? how many miles per gallon do you get?"

+1



I would define bad and as related to what.

I was getting 31.5 out of my civic. None of my rangers so far have crested over 17.

If you want more fuel mileage out of a ranger get one with a 2.5 and a standard or pull it on a dolly with a duramax. The duramax will get better fuel mileage pulling the ranger than the ranger will by itself.
__________________
00 XLT 4WD XCSB 4.0 my new baby
00 XLT 2WD RCSB 5.0 swap in progress.
98 XLT 4WD XCSB 4.0 dead
99 EXPO donor motor for dead one and parts for the others.
Ford Enthusiast
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2017, 03:37 AM
1stFordRanger 1stFordRanger is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 143
Default

I am getting 11 miles to the gallon country driving not city cuz i dont live in the city i live amd work in the country

I used oem parts when i did the tune up and fuel filter is new and i used stp fuel injector also to see if that helps no change

No excessive in truck just me and i weigh 180

I used to have a 99 4.0 and got better milage but that was a standard

No problems with brakes those got replaced also

----------

I have 111000 miles on it by the way
__________________
1999 Ranger XLT extended cab 4.0 engine 4wd and all stock for now
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2017, 04:15 AM
EaOutlaw1969 EaOutlaw1969 is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 901
Default Re: bad fuel mileage

Many questions I asked about your truck were skipped over in your response, to help you get better mileage all the questions asked will need to be answered.

Without these answers it will be up to you to look these things over and make your own judgement if any of the items listed are contributing to your poor mileage or not.

If you have any questions or are not sure about how to check certain items or systems feel free to ask, the only dumb question you could have is the one you know the answer to.

Good luck with your repairs.
__________________
2002 Ford Ranger 2 Dr Standard cab 2.3 5 SPD 7.5 373 gears
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2017, 02:32 PM
1stFordRanger 1stFordRanger is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
How many miles does your truck have?

Is there a check engine light on?

Does the truck run good, nice and smooth with no noise loud noises coming from the engine?

Do you notice any smoke coming from the exhaust at idle or driving down the road?

How much air do you keep in the tires? How often do you check them?

Have you checked for binding or dragging brakes?

Does the engine oil look black and or smell of fuel?

Have you ever inspected the transmission fluid, U-joints , rear end fluid and axles bearings?

How about the front end alignment do you have good tire wear and does the truck track straight going down the road?

Do you carry unnecessary weight in the truck?

What do you consider a lot of fuel per week? how many miles per gallon do you get?

What kind of roads and terrain do you encounter during most of your driving?

How aggressively do you drive?

How old is the fuel filter?

You said you replaced some ignition parts what brand type and part numbers did you use?

Have you checked for a stretched throttle cable? A stretched throttle cable is common to these trucks and can cause a feeling of low power causing a heavy foot and poor fuel economy.

What gear ratio is listed on the drivers door for the rear end?

Does it match the tag on the rear end?

Someone could have swapped the rear axle assembly and changed the gear ratio while they were at it?

How is the cooling system? is the fluid nice and clean and tested for a proper mixture?

Have you inspected the fuel system, fuel tank and lines for leaks?
Have you checked the evaporative emissions system and fuel filler neck and fuel cap for leaks ?

Is there a warning light on the dash lit up with a picture of a gas cap?

Does that light come on for a few seconds with the key on engine off?

Have you looked at all the vacuum lines, and PCV system to make sure all is well?

Does your temperature gauge work properly and show no signs of overheating?

Have you inspected all your belt driven accessories by removing the belt checking for worn bearings?

The Fan clutch is a commonly neglected part that could fail and contribute to poor fuel economy and higher than normal engine temperatures.

A lot of what I mentioned may seem trivial, but anything that adds to the rolling resistance or engine load will decrease fuel economy and if your truck has suffered from poor maintenance these little commonly neglected parts can add up to a serious drop in fuel economy.

One thing you will here me get up on a soap box often about is a compression test.

I recommend anyone that has purchased a used vehicle to get a baseline test completed to make sure your engine is healthy.

I also recommend connecting a inexpensive vacuum gauge to also check for the health of the engine and to check for restricted exhaust.

These simple test will let you know the overall health of your engine and exhaust.

If you find a problem with either of these two test nothing else you find wrong with the truck will matter until these problems are corrected.
Haha
__________________
1999 Ranger XLT extended cab 4.0 engine 4wd and all stock for now
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2017, 02:55 PM
1stFordRanger 1stFordRanger is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
How many miles does your truck have?111k

Is there a check engine light on?no

Does the truck run good, nice and smooth with no noise loud noises coming from the engine?smooth

Do you notice any smoke coming from the exhaust at idle or driving down the road?
No
How much air do you keep in the tires? How often do you check them?35psi every week

Have you checked for binding or dragging brakes?yes

Does the engine oil look black and or smell of fuel?good

Have you ever inspected the transmission fluid, U-joints , rear end fluid and axles bearings?no

How about the front end alignment do you have good tire wear and does the truck track straight going down the road?
Yes
Do you carry unnecessary weight in the truck?no

What do you consider a lot of fuel per week? how many miles per gallon do you get?fill 2x a week

What kind of roads and terrain do you encounter during most of your driving?country and paved

How aggressively do you drive?not

How old is the fuel filter?didnt replace

You said you replaced some ignition parts what brand type and part numbers did you use?oem

Have you checked for a stretched throttle cable? A stretched throttle cable is common to these trucks and can cause a feeling of low power causing a heavy foot and poor fuel economy.how do i do this

What gear ratio is listed on the drivers door for the rear end?will look when truck gets back

Does it match the tag on the rear end?dunno and how do i check

Someone could have swapped the rear axle assembly and changed the gear ratio while they were at it?

How is the cooling system? is the fluid nice and clean and tested for a proper mixture?needs a charge

Have you inspected the fuel system, fuel tank and lines for leaks?
Have you checked the evaporative emissions system and fuel filler neck and fuel cap for leaks ?no

Is there a warning light on the dash lit up with a picture of a gas cap?no

Does that light come on for a few seconds with the key on engine off?no

Have you looked at all the vacuum lines, and PCV system to make sure all is well?yes

Does your temperature gauge work properly and show no signs of overheating?yes

Have you inspected all your belt driven accessories by removing the belt checking for worn bearings?

The Fan clutch is a commonly neglected part that could fail and contribute to poor fuel economy and higher than normal engine temperatures.

A lot of what I mentioned may seem trivial, but anything that adds to the rolling resistance or engine load will decrease fuel economy and if your truck has suffered from poor maintenance these little commonly neglected parts can add up to a serious drop in fuel economy.

One thing you will here me get up on a soap box often about is a compression test.

I recommend anyone that has purchased a used vehicle to get a baseline test completed to make sure your engine is healthy.

I also recommend connecting a inexpensive vacuum gauge to also check for the health of the engine and to check for restricted exhaust.

These simple test will let you know the overall health of your engine and exhaust.

If you find a problem with either of these two test nothing else you find wrong with the truck will matter until these problems are corrected.
Im trying
__________________
1999 Ranger XLT extended cab 4.0 engine 4wd and all stock for now
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2017, 05:15 PM
DannoBob DannoBob is offline
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
Default Re: bad fuel mileage

Troll
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2017, 05:16 PM
1stFordRanger 1stFordRanger is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 143
Default

Troll?
__________________
1999 Ranger XLT extended cab 4.0 engine 4wd and all stock for now
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2017, 06:45 PM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,900
Default Re: bad fuel mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stFordRanger View Post
I have a stock 01 ranger 3.0 2wd automatic it seems i am going through a lot of gas a week what can cause it. I did a tune up when i bought the truck only thing i havent done is an oil change can that be why i am getting bad gas mileage oh yeah the air filter is a spectrum air filter not stock there but not dirty at all

Questions:

*Numerically, how many MPG is this "bad fuel mileage"?

*Over how many miles are you calculating mileage?
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Undrstm8ed Undrstm8ed is offline
Habenae Est Dominatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,247
Default Re: bad fuel mileage

And.... WHERE do you fuel up at?

I know if I use Shell, Mobile, or Chevron I tend to get way better gas mileage in my area and I always use Premium fuel.., YES, even in my 93 with 343K on the clock.

If I use Arco gas.. forget it.. at least a 100 miles -negative difference most often.
__________________
"Your right, there is no "I" in Team But there sure is in Independence, Individuality, and Integrity.."

- 93' Ranger, Overland Build thread http://www.fordrangerforum.com/proje...ing-build.html
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-19-2017, 03:36 AM
1stFordRanger 1stFordRanger is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 143
Default

I use fast trac or sunoco gas and i can 250 miles before i have to fill up again
__________________
1999 Ranger XLT extended cab 4.0 engine 4wd and all stock for now
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-19-2017, 08:20 AM
cowboybilly9mile cowboybilly9mile is offline
Ford Ranger Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,900
Default Re: bad fuel mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stFordRanger View Post
..... and i can 250 miles before i have to fill up again
So in other words, the vehicles MPG is unknown therefore making the significance of the phrase, "bad fuel mileage" another unknown. Hard to help people without getting information of value. :-/
__________________
2004 Ranger FX4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-19-2017, 09:45 AM
Birchhatchery Birchhatchery is offline
Ford Pickup
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 120
Default Re: bad fuel mileage

I got a 97 3.0 v6 I get 23 mpg its a automatic if your only getting 17 you got problems
__________________
God Bless Donald Trump ! 2020!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-19-2017, 10:55 AM
1stFordRanger 1stFordRanger is offline
Ford Motor Company
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 143
Default

In my responce i said i am getting 11 mpg
__________________
1999 Ranger XLT extended cab 4.0 engine 4wd and all stock for now
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel mileage Cbw10 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 20 07-17-2014 12:14 PM
2.3L, Fuel mileage changes, 1 mod did it. xabjw4 4-Cylinder Tech 44 02-19-2013 08:28 PM
fuel mileage smcpherson 3.0 Vulcan Tech 33 01-06-2013 07:59 AM
fuel mileage 3.0L ranger0130 3.0 Vulcan Tech 64 08-27-2012 09:44 AM
Fuel Mileage...? pooleo 4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech 11 11-08-2010 10:31 AM