View Single Post

Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Rocket Scientist

Send a message via AIM to turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01
I think it'll be minor...very minor....as little as 2%. So minor, that I think you're needle is off just a hair and you shouldn't worry about it.
I don't know, Shane -- I'm running 31x10.50's on my truck since it was lifted in May, and my speedo/odo are off by just a shade under 10%.

I arrived at this figure by comparing my MPH and ODO with my GPS on open, flat roadway with a 7 satellite lock (and, thus, a 15-foot circle of accuracy [which is about the length of my truck]). If I set the cruise at 70 MPH per the speedometer, the GPS reads 77 MPH; if I set the cruise at 40 MPH, the GPS reads 44 MPH.

Mathematical calculations (using odometer/trip-meter readings vs. gallons to fill the tank) bear this out: against previously observed MPG calculations and current (post-lift and larger tire installation) MPG calculations, there's a difference of 9.88%. This can be explained by the odometer (and, thus, speedometer) reading being off by 9.5 to 10% (allowing for marginal variation in computed MPG due to varying environmental factors, gasoline quality, driving conditions, etc).

Modifications
Summit 3" Body Lift
31x10.50 A/T tires
Explorer overhead console
Explorer auto-dim mirror
Explorer auto-headlights
Aux1 & Aux2 inputs on factory AM/FM/CD/Cassette
Door-dinger silencer button
Seamless retractable roof and passenger-side ejection seat with steering wheel mounted controls and safety interlock