View Single Post

Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: Cleaning the Mass Air Flow Sensor?

I have a 2002 ranger thats having a bogging problem at certain RPM's,..which is giving me sputtery acceleration in some gears. But this also doesnt happen all the time. Sometimes it runs fine and idles fine. I used my OBD tester to test the truck,..and i got the P0171 code "Fuel System Too Lean (Cylinder Bank 1). check this on google and i got this >"You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration. A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Gona pull that sensor off and see if that fixes my issue. Hope that helps anyone else

List of Mods: Full air bag suspension/Custom lower control arms w/ bag mounts/8" C-notch/4-link paralel to frame/1/2" valves/1/2" lines/5 gallon air tank/Viair 460c compressor/custom roll pan fabricated for rear/billet grille/10 switch box(pancake/seesaw/side2side/ect)
Full stereo