View Single Post

Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: Advice on replacing the thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndietrich12 View Post
Hi everyone, i need to replace the thermostat in my ranger but dont really knowhere to even begin. i read online to follow the upper radiator hose to the thermostat housing but i looked there without disconnecting the hose and dont see anything that looks like thermostat housing. ranger xlt 2.5l automatic. Would i be able to see it if i disconnected the upper radiator hose? or is it just buried under more things that i would have to remove? If anyone has this year and model truck and knows where to look and what to do i would really appreciate some help. thanks
I have the exact same truck. I don't have AC. I read a post about someone once complaining about the AC lines being in the way but I can speak for that. follow the upper rad hose to the housing. there are 2 bolts I can remember the exact size but they were around 7 or 8mm. they are at the front of the motor not the top. I remove the fan shroud first it makes it easier. the shroud is held on with 2 bolts and is easy to remove. After you unplug the 2 sensors(if you have the oem sensors and connectors they can not be connecting incorrectly there are nubs on them that prevent this) hoses and the 2 bolts the housing comes right offer. the t-stat is in the housing. it gets twisted before you pull it out. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND GETTING THE OEM MOTORCRAFT TSTAT i THINK IT IS AROUND 190 DEGREES. you should get a new gasket also the gasket is the oring type that fits into the housing. I believe the bleeder hole goes at 12:00 but not positive.

2004 Ranger, Ext Cab, 2WD, 3.0, 5 speed , 4WABS, crank windows, no cruise, Edge 116k.(6/5,2014) (SOLD).
1999 Ford Ranger, Reg Cab, 2.5, 5 speed, 2WD, no AC, 150k (SOLD).

Last edited by modelageek; 01-14-2011 at 08:40 AM.