View Single Post

Old 02-11-2021, 02:35 AM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Default Radio/cassette player replaced with custom panel.

Hey all,
I've been gone for a couple years. But the other day, my cassette player started clicking on and off, and wouldn't shut up, so I decided to remove it. Turns out it was really very easy to do.

I never actually listen to music while I drive. Probably the only one in the world who doesn't, LOL. I find it distracting. So rather than trying to replace it, I've decided to make a custom panel with things I'll find more fun or useful.

Here's a vague design I have in mind. No idea if it will work until I try it:

The plug that goes to the radio has lots of options to choose from. Once I finally figured out which wire does what.

The sticky threads here were very helpful. And conveniently, the pin numbers are actually printed on the back of the plug.

So I've got a direct wire to the battery, a couple of ignition switched lines, several ground wires, and also all the speaker wires.

Assuming they all work ok. I haven't actually found the fault yet. I suspected the connection was corroded from condensation. But it looks to be in perfect condition. I'll test the radio/cassette player next to see if the fault is internal.