View Single Post

Old 10-18-2018, 05:33 AM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: 2000 Ranger 2.5L L4 not getting oil pressure

Take out the sparking plugs. Do not run the engine at all under power until you have developed oil pressure.
As I understand it, the pump is driven by the auxiliary shaft, the third sprocket on the front of the engine. As suggested, you may be able to spin the aux sprocket enough to get the oil galleries filled and pressurized without cranking the engine. That would be the best thing to do to avoid load & possible bearing damage by rotating without lube being supplied.
I think you can remove the pump, and pack it at least partially with grease(Vaseline works well) to insure there is good internal sealing and the pump can pull oil from the sump.
You might be able to use a 'sanding disc' on a hand drill pressed against the aux sprocket to spin it enough to develop oil pressure. You do not have to have the belt in place to do this, and it would be best to have the belt removed from the aux sprocket. You might be able to rotate with the belt in place, but I would not.
The oil pressure switch it up on the drivers side of the cylinder head, close to the rear. Oil comes up around one of the head bolts to supply the cam followers and cam bearings.
tom