View Single Post

Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: 2002 2.3 down on power

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw0 View Post
The only test for a clutch (other than it smoking, and no movement...) was to get into top gear(not OD), and floor it. If the rpms went up faster than vehicle acceleration, there was slippage.
I have a set in the basement, and just received a new flywheel, so I am ready. Right now, the pedal comes up pretty high before there is good engagement. I can(though I do not) just push the clutch pedal down a couple inches to shift. I be thinkin' its pretty wore out.
There is no adjustment on my original, and the replacement does not have the ramped sliding mechanism so it also will (I think) act the same way as it wears.

I replaced the O2 sensor and mpg seems to have increased. It also feels as if the engine is running very well, better than it has in a long time. I got no code, but it was on sale at Rock, so I figured it was time.
As the O2 ages, it will tend to produce less signal, which is a tendency to report 'lean' conditions more, leading the computer to add fuel attempting to bump up the sensor output. I dunno if the computer learns that its O2 sensor is getting lame, as in always a bit lean, by monitoring the 'rich' condition it could create by pumping in more fuel and looking to see if the O2 responds. It could 'know' its O2 was not responding and reduce its attempt to correct for lean accordingly. Does it do that? I doubt it.
tom
I have the new o2 sensor I just need to install it. Hopefully this weekend I'll have time. On Rock Auto the Motorcraft o2 was half the price compared to autozone or o'riley. I'm sure it is worth doing seeing the stock one has over 200k miles on it.