View Single Post

Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: Replace Brake Pedal Assembly - 1995 to 2003 Manual Shift

Well it’s all back together and working fine. What a relief for a 65 year-old non-mechanic. I’m sure I saved a great deal of money doing this myself, but the thanks and credit goes to all that have contributed on this site.

Not that it wasn’t easy to do all of this, the tough part for me was finding the clutch master cylinder. Mainly because I’m lookin for something big and metal. The problem was it wasn’t big and not medal at all.

So, I’ll try to add a photo of the it in the firewall so those unfamiliar will be a bit more informed. So, forcefully twisting it 45 degrees was a crap shoot, but it paid dividends to me. That was all it took to detach the master cylinder from the clutch/pedal assembly. https://photos.app.goo.gl/93rwPVyfy4ZFKhoQ7

The first photo is viewing the master cylinder from under the hood of the truck. You can see where the booster was mounted prior to being removed. The master cylinder is to the lower left. The second photo shows the view under the dashboard. The master cylinder is yet to be reinstalled back into the clutch pedal assembly.

Try as I might, I could not unsnap the clutch rod from the master cylinder. But I was able to pull out the old clutch pedal assembly and place the new one in position without the necessity of disconnecting the clutch rod from the master cylinder.

After getting the replacement clutch pedal assembly bolted in place, it was difficult to re-twist the master cylinder in place in particular without assistance. I finally got under the dash and used pipe pliers to turn it 45 degrees while simultaneously pulling it into the clutch pedal assembly and amazingly it worked.

It was difficult putting the brake switch back in place, but I used an exploded diagram I found online to successfully put it back together.