View Single Post

Old 08-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default Strange Whistle Sound, Please Help!

Hey guys, long time reader, but first time I've posted a thread. I've got an issue that has me stumped. A strange whistling sound is coming from what sounds like the rear or underside of the truck. Here's what I've got, a 1999 extended cab 2WD with a 3.0L V6 and a 5 speed with 145,000 miles on it. I recently completed a rebuild of a rear axle from a 2001 Explorer. 8.8", 4.10 gears, traction-lok with ford racing clutch pack, disc brakes, and new bearings everywhere. I spent a lot of time, effort, and money to make sure that I rebuilt the axle RIGHT. Installed it in the truck in April, about 5000 miles ago. I also have less that 10K on the front brakes (rotors and pads), and front wheel bearings. I've checked all the brakes, since that is what I thought might be making the sound, and all looks great. The sound starts after driving a few miles, and is a bit intermittent sometimes. The pitch seems to be constant no matter the speed. Also, after coming to a stop and taking off, the sound won't start right away. No driver controls seem to affect the sound (accelerating, deceleration in gear, coasting out of gear, clutch in/out, swerving, braking, applying parking brake). I'm really stumped and want to try to diagnose it before I have to drive 600 miles back to Indiana next weekend. Here's a link to a video of the sound. Hope you guys can help!!

Last edited by FenderBender; 08-12-2018 at 10:23 AM.