View Single Post

Old 08-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default there and back again..

Hello all,
So, in 1999 I bought a 1993 ranger xl 3.0 5speed from my father in law. At the time it had 18k miles on it and was in good shape but had been sitting for a couple of years.
I put a new battery in it, got it running, changed all the fluids, detailed it and proceeded to use it regularly for dump runs, lumber store/nursery/hardware runs and it was a champ.
In 2006 my brother in law ran in to some life challenges so I "loaned" it to him with 50k on the odo.
This week, he told me he wanted to get rid of it since it didn't run and he wanted it out of his driveway, so I took it back.

It hasn't been registered, driven or moved since 2016 and is kind of a mess.

Again, new battery, top off the fluids, wash the dirt off and I got her to start up and run and got it back to my place.

I haven't dug in to it yet, but a couple of immediate issues I've noticed that I'll be needing to figure out.

- I released the emergency brake and it rolls freely, but the emergency brake light stays on - assume something is sticking?

- ABS light stays on - assume ABS sensor?

- wipers move, but really slowly - new wiper motor?

- When I washed her off, I noticed there's water on the floor of the cab afterwards - assume drain holes are plugged up?

- Battery won't hold a charge - assume alternator

Overall, she's in pretty good shape body and interior-wise, just needs a good detailing and engine bay cleaning. Tires are old and cracked, but hold air. Fiberglass shell is really faded but no cracking.

Anyway, I'll post pics and keep you posted on the progress. It's a fun little truck and about as basic as you can get with the 5sp, am radio and no a/c