View Single Post

Old 07-27-2018, 05:45 PM
Habenae Est Dominatus

Default Re: Need help with new Firestone tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim22 View Post
I have vibration issues on my '99 Sport RWD ranger.

I was previously running Michelins, which were great, but they got to be 13 years old and I needed to replace them.

I had four new Firestone Destination LE2, 225/70 R15 tires put on the OEM alloy rims. They were balanced, and an alignment performed, although I don't have camber kit installed, so I'm not exactly sure how much adjusting they actually did.

When I picked the car up, I had fairly severe vibrations above 60mph on the highway. It's not super organized to any particular speed range, but there's a lot of shaking in the floor and sometimes in the steering wheel.

I went back, and had them re-balanced, and was told that a couple of them were a little off. This didn't help that I could tell.

I had a different shop with a road force balancer have a look, and they couldnt solve the vibration either. They said the tires were balanced ok, and the road force balancer suggested rotating a couple tires on the rims, which they did, and then that they were "in spec", but maybe one was borderline. They moved tires all over the car, and said the vibration stayed with the right rear and that the wheels and tires were ok. They suggested maybe issues with the rear brakes or shocks. I have load adjusting shocks on the back, which are a bit old. I have replacements on order, but I'm having trouble believing all this just started coincident with getting new tires.

I have scheduled to drop the truck off back at the place I bought them from next week.

What do you guys think? Everyone I talk to says the Firestone tires should be good. Are they generally good on Rangers? Is there anything that can go wrong during an alignment that could initiate a bunch of vibrations or bouncing anywhere? What else should I check and how? I'm not feeling any isues with ball joints, but I'm not really sure how to check. There is no clunking going on.

Frustrated in CT....
Jim
Since both suspension loss and tire wear are systematically progressive loss items. It is remotely possible that the previous tires wore to the suspension and once new "more" round tires were added that the reveal an issue. kind of like when a bad strut cannot keep a tire to the ground efficiently and it can cause uneven wear, cupped, or feathering on a tire.

Not saying that is the answer, just saying its a thought. I would strongly think the shock(s) are at fault here but then there could be a possible an issue with a leaf spring, in which if that is the case, i'd replace both not just the one.

My Build Pg. Threads
+ 93' Ranger Overlanding Build
+ 94' Ranger Bed Overlanding Trailer Build
+ 12° North Industries ~ I Support