View Single Post

Old 07-14-2018, 01:02 PM
Ranger Newbie as of 8/'11

Default Very Bad Bucking V6!

Hello Everyone!

Here's the issue with my 2000 Ranger XLT w/3.0 V6.....~143,000 MILES

Engine runs like a well-oiled sewing machine under 3500RPM, but when truck is stationary in neutral, revving the engine above 3500 - 4000 RPM causes violent engine shaking and bucking....really bad. It's as if one of the cylinder banks just quits, causing bad physical imbalance. I'm sure the same thing is happening when cruising and I try to rev it over 4K, but the shaking is dampened then because the vehicle is in gear and moving.

CE light came on months ago, but that was/is intermittent. It did throw some codes I can't remember, but I believe they were "P0xxx" codes relating to 02 sensors. Unfortunately, the battery died recently, and when installing a new one, the codes got cleared. Once everything resets itself after some drive cycles, I'll use the analyzer and read codes again (it shows "pending" codes now).

Anyway.......

One thing I have notice right now is that when this problem is happening, the voltages on ALL the 02 sensors drop to 0, returning to "normal" reading when engine goes back to idle. I thought that is quite strange. If just one O2 sensor did that, I wouldn't be surprised...but all three?

I've search the forum for threads that contained anything like this, but none appear to describe exactly what I am experiencing.

So....any ideas? THANKS!!!!!

2000 Ford Ranger XLT: Stepside Bed, Xtra Cab, 3-liter w/Auto, Tremor Audio Package - Chrome Yellow/Gray