View Single Post

Old 07-11-2018, 12:19 AM
Habenae Est Dominatus

Default Re: Helper spring experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny74 View Post
Well on that bit, I don't find it hard to believe. I'm in the same boat he is in. I grew up with brothers that were mechanics and friends who all wrench in their backyards.
I've rebuilt some trannies and rebuild engines with them, but that's in the past now. They're all out of state now including my brother.. I don't have any friends or acquaintances now that like to work on their own Vehicles, save for one but he would never let anybody borrow any of his tools or offer to help them. On the plus side he is a phenomenal welder and would always love to do any kind of welding project so that's a nice trait to compensate at least.
But Anyway, my point is I know how he feels, I had to star searching garage sales for deals on tools when my brother left the state about 15 years ago. He was the last person around to help me work on cars.

my God man! The guy is trying to help you out, I don't know how you could gather from what he said that he had no experience. If anything what he would suggest the complete opposite. Either way show a little bit of respect to the people that are going out of their way to really help you especially when you see that they are so thoroughly typing so much for you.

You know what's the old saying? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Anyway, I appreciate the information that you had posted. The main reason why I found this was that I was interested in the same subject. However I actually want to increase my payload capacity for towing and Hauling. The last piece of the puzzle for my tow package that I created is the rear suspension. I got a lot of different advice on what to do, including one person suggested not even replacing the springs or adding helpers but to go the route of adding airbags to the existing suspension. Their logic was that if the ride is acceptable now I could always deflate bags and let the stock suspension do its work when I'm not towing and just inflate them when I am Towing. I don't know I'm still debating things, luckily I haven't even bought, the trailer yet.
I'd say depending on what you're hauling, how often, do the loads very or is it a consistent haul [work related perhaps ?] I would still consider the upgraded springs, but thats just me. I will agree that the Helper Springs do work but I feel also that maybe because they're refereed as such items "Helper" springs that for long term use or as the original OP was considering to freshen up or put in place of replacing worn items which my point to him was similar in saying "if theres a hole in the oil pan fix the oil pan, dont pull over every couple miles and pour more oil in just to go a few more miles."

THEN, should you need that additional payload assistance, then consider the helper springs. Where Airbags will fit in is helping level out a load obviously with regard to increasing or decreasing air and provide a more comfortable ride under load. Now a couple versions of helper springs much like the Hellwig ones do have some adjustability which I find beneficial and of course the cost factors will eventually come into play along with usage. If you're towing a small toy hauler or camper, the airbags will certainly be kinder all around to the truck and the towed apparatus. If its just throwing a bunch of gear in the back and or a small trailer for landscaping or other smaller needs but could get a bit heavy.. helper springs would make more financial sense perhaps.

On our F450 LB dually, we pull a 47' Road warrior toy hauler/RV and we use an airbag setup in the rear. Mostly to level out the trailer. Without the Airbags the trailer dips in towards the 5th wheel adapter lifting the rear of the trailer up 4". So we increase air to about 65% and that gives us about 2" of lift and levels the trailer itself. A must especially considering here in Nevada we can get away with double towing.

BTW, thanks

My Build Pg. Threads
+ 93' Ranger Overlanding Build
+ 94' Ranger Bed Overlanding Trailer Build
+ 12° North Industries ~ I Support

Last edited by Undrstm8ed; 07-11-2018 at 12:27 AM.