View Single Post

Old 06-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Ford Truck Driver

Default Coolant leak, front passenger side under alternator

Hey guys,

Did a lot of searching and most hits refer to leaky T-stat housings, but I don't think thats what the problem is here. (This is my son's truck and I'm just getting familiar with it so I can help him diagnose and repair the issue.)

Before we start tearing things down for an inspection, what might I look for that could be leaking at the front of the motor just under the alternator? I've checked the radiator and heater hoses and don't see any obvious leaks. The leak is definitely "before" the thermostat, since it leaks as soon as the engine is started and not only when hot/pressurized.

The coolant is pooling in the area indicated by this arrow inside of a large Torx head screw:

The leak is a constant drip while the engine runs (but does not appear to be dripping when off).

Do the heads on this 4.0 leak to the outside if there is a blown head gasket? (never seen that before...)

My plan is to pull the alternator to get a better view and thoroughly check all the heater hose connections and the metal pipes for the heater. Anything else common in this area that might be leaking?