View Single Post

Old 06-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Ford Motor Co

Default Oil filter change on 3.0 V6

I have just changed oil in my 3.0 V6 Ranger 2wd. I like to change oil hot to get the max junk out. Changing the oil filter is a problem hot or cold. I remember thinking the last time I changed oil, that I should sell the truck before it needed it's next oil change, because it is such a pain to change. But I am old enough that stuff slips my mind.

The steering column is too close to the engine to lift the filter up. I sort of emptied the filter through the cut out in the control arm into my drip pan, laid the filter down on the control arm and moved it back until it would fit under the steering column and could be lifted up. Of course, I dribbled oil all over the control arm and my driveway. I spent a fair amount of time trying to find a way to remove it from under the truck but did not find a better way. I'll bet the dealers are tempted to just not change the filter. There is a plastic piece under the filter, but I have not been able to figure out what it's function is. Can anyone enlighten me?