View Single Post

Old 02-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: '99 2.5 - Low Power, Rough Idle, Bad Gas Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrstm8ed View Post
And just for shits and giggles.. when you pulled the connector on the MAF, did you drive it or just tug on the T/C with little difference in "sound & idle"...?

And you could just break the Catalytic bolts lose at the front flange, and drop or bend the exhaust just a little out of the way. As long as exhaust can escape, should be enough to uncork it and breath...
Those bolts were on tighter than the o2 sensor, which I finally got off by heating the exhaust, hitting the base of the sensor with a rod and hammer, and using a pipe. I ran it a bit without the o2 sensor, and loads of exhaust was coming out of that hole. That doesn't necessarily mean the cat is clogged though, since it is just the path of least resistance...

It seemed to idle more regularly/smoothly, aside from the louder noise, but there was absolutely no power. I backed out of my driveway to take it around the block, but realized I had no power and could barely get it up into the driveway again. I really wish it was the cat because I'm so sick of troubleshooting this.

I also got the right tool to pull off and inspect the MAF elements - they look fine/clean.

BTW, while I was letting the engine warm up the exhaust manifold before I got the sensor off, I noticed exhaust drifting around that spot, near the flange. I couldn't track down where it was coming from, but it doesn't seem to belong there.