View Single Post

Old 01-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Habenae Est Dominatus

Default Re: Thermostat replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genisis View Post
2004 / 4.0 / OHC

Do I REALLY need to take off the intake to replace the t-stat? I was hoping there was a shortcut around doing this, so, Im asking you all if there is. The reason for me thinking T-Stat is needing replaced is due to 130,000 miles and on colder days, temp on the gauge is showing that after it opens for the first time, it wont get back up to operating temp. Its acting as though the T-Stat is then stuck open after it heats up.

Thanks to all that can help /reply.
Before you go through all that, make sure after it gets to temp both hoses leading to/away from the heater core are warm. It may just need a good reverse flushing and cost factors (DIY) almost free before doing the rest.

And although I changed mine out to a 180° one a little over a year ago because I was moving to Vegas and offroading in 110° + temps at slow speeds put my trucks gauge in what I felt was uncomfortable realms of heat indexing. I've also since then upgraded to a much larger radiator and putting together a E-fan setup. For some reason I seem to find football field lengths of 30" + water crossings in deserts to traverse :shrug:

But I don't recall removing my I/M at all on my 4.0L OHV. But I have much more in tools than the avg DIY so I may have just worked with it as it was.

My Build Pg. Threads
+ 93' Ranger Overlanding Build
+ 94' Ranger Bed Overlanding Trailer Build
+ 12° North Industries ~ I Support

Last edited by Undrstm8ed; 01-20-2018 at 02:50 PM.