View Single Post

Old 11-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Learning to use the forums

Default Wheel cylinder link problem

So, I'm almost done rebuilding my '99 2WD 4cyl but have run into an issue with the rear brakes.

After finally getting my hands on a set of wheel cylinder links (from a '98 at Pull-a-Part) they don't seem to fit properly.

This is only my second time ever doing drums, but it's fairly straight forward as far as assembly. BUT, my cylinder links are sticking out too far, so much so that the forked bar (with the small spring on one end) doesn't even touch the other shoe.

The drum hardware is brand new except for the adjusting levers and their springs.
I rebuilt the wheel cylinders before this, they're gorgeous, working wonderfully, so I'm sure it's not the cylinders (they're only months old anyway). The links just don't seem to press far enough into the cylinder, no matter how much force I apply... it's got me wondering about taking the spring out of it so the pistons can move in further, but that may not fix the issue and just might cause another.

Anyone have any ideas? Here's a picture of what I'm looking at... the last spring has yet to be installed due to this obvious problem. Hoping to be driving the truck tomorrow or Sunday, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk