View Single Post

Old 08-29-2017, 03:24 PM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Default 99 5speed v8 complete answer guide

Hello all, havent posted much on here, but during my swap I have religiously read as many posts as I could. This site is a wealth of knowledge, but I figure i will try to fill in some of the info gaps for anyone who wants to attempt this swap.
This has been in the works since early this year, starting with a total rebuild of a junkyard motor i got for 500 bucks.
the truck was originally a 1999 xlt, 3.0 flex with a 5 speed r1.
new motor is a 99 explorer xlt 5.0v8, unknown miles.

I searched until my eyes burned for info regarding wiring, transmissions, driveshafts, cables, hoses ect.
The info is there on how to make the engine work with stock everything.
but since my swap includes a auto tcase, manual trans, and a motor with tall springs, cam, and ported everything, Heres the little things that no one mentions before you start.

the motor now has a comp cams 35-512-8 cam.
you WILL need trick flows valve spring kit, comp standard rockers (not roller, they will hit the factory covers), and your choice of push rods.
the motor will run with just cam alone, but bad things can happen.

every part of the motor was torn down, cleaned, and re installed. all sensors were replaced, and intake upper and lower had exit and intake ports cleaned up to match the gaskets.

to install the engine, keep the stock heater hoses (the bypass valve works correctly). for your throttle cable, if you dont have a factory cable, a 1992 f150 5.0 cable will work, no modification necessary. just tie it in like a 92'.

the stock 3.0 radiator will work. It is a daily so i temporarily used the stock radiator, with the black magic flex a lite fan that was on the 3.0.
bigger radiator is recommended, the stock runs a little warm.

The explorer air intake tube, with an adapter for a MAF and cone filter seems to work well, takes slight mounting modification..

now for the tricky part..

the transmisison is from a 1996-2003 f150 4.6 V6.
the transfer case is from a 1998-2003 f150 5.4 v8
(borg warner 4406)

The stock ranger m5r1 shifter can be used.
the stock clutch line can be used.
the stock transmission mount can NOT be used
flywheel is from 1994 f150 5.0 50OZ IMBALANCE, make sure this is right
flywheel bolts are the same
the transmission bellhousing bolts will need slightly enlarged to accept the 5.0 block bolt size
the stock crossmember cannot be used as is, pictures to come.
the stock ranger transfer case shift motor will bolt up AND work, allowing you to use the same harness
the rear driveshaft will need to be shortened to 53", pics to come
(ext. cab, 6.0 ft bed)
the shift location is identical to the m5r1 if you use the r1 shifter

You will need the auto trans wiring harness!!!
I had to make a harness for the clutch/neutral safety, all 4 o2 sensors, and my reverse lights.

there is much more to come. I will post more pictures when I am back in town, and update my progress to the present!