View Single Post

Old 08-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Default Bad Water Pump? (see photos)

Hello All,
I have a 1994 Ford Ranger XLT six cylinder 3.0 with 159,944 miles.

So I noticed a squealing noise under the hood. When I checked it out, turns out it was because of anti-freeze leaking on my fan/belts. But I'm not absolutely positive where it's coming from. I followed the drips and the wetness up the front of the engine and apparently the leak is coming from an area on the front of the engine ABOVE the fan. (**See attached photos.) By the way, this leak kept dripping anti-freeze and kept my driveway wet for at least a week while the truck sat. I did some initial research and at first I held out hope that is was only a leaky thermostat. But at this point I'm GUESSING that I have a bad water pump that needs to be replaced. If indeed that is the case, I have some questions:

1. Do I also want to replace the thermostat when I replace the water pump?

2. Could a non-working A/C have contributed to the failure of my water pump? My a/c has not cooled properly for the last couple of years. It does not get cold and I have not bothered to add refrigerant in it for at least the last two years. Which brings me to #3...

3. Should I have the A/C repaired at the same time I have the water pump replaced? (A/C needs a new compressor/ac kit.) Would or should combining these two repairs save me any money on labor?

Thanks for your guidance.

**All the photos were taken FACING the FRONT of the truck from the LEFT (passenger) side. The last photo was taken FACING the front of the truck from ABOVE. In photo #3 there is no bright green stuff on the engine. it's just a sun reflection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5877.jpg (82.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5878.jpg (88.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5914.jpg (85.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5918.jpg (88.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg zIMG_5917.jpg (86.8 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by HuskyMiller; 08-19-2017 at 01:12 PM.