View Single Post

Old 08-11-2017, 03:23 AM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: Transmission Code PO735

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWGIRL9918 View Post
we have an 06 ranger that has overdrive and is a 3.o tranny was just rebuilt but is still pulling code po735 we have checked over everything we can think of
If your transmission was just rebuilt the problem should be under warranty.

Messing with it yourself will void the warranty if they find out you have been tapering with your transmission or related parts.

PO735 Alldata shows a list of possible causes to be as follows

Incorrect gear selection depending on failure mode and manual lever position.

Shift errors may also be due to other internal transmission concerns (stuck valves, damaged friction material etc.).

It goes on to PINPOINT TEST A: SHIFT AND TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH (TCC) SOLENOIDS

This pin point test will require specialized tools not likely owned by the end user.

However in the pin point test they give a slimmer of hope of possible causes to be outside of the transmission and things the end user could check.

I suggest first and foremost to rely on the warranty if that is at all possible.

If not gain access to a factory service manual or equivalent for your year Ranger and search the manual for code PO735 first under TSBs and under the code list then select the correct pin point test.

Unless you find new information for this code listed under the TSB section.

Many shops will do a normal rebuild on pretty much any transmission with little to no issue.

However if they cut corners by not replacing parts they should have or not going into the transmission deep enough and really rebuild the entire transmission you may end up with repeat problems.

The transmission shops job is to get your truck just beyond the warranty period.

So it does not pay for a transmission shop that has to be competitive to get your work to be the most comprehensive at replacing parts just because it might fail down the road.

Most Automatic transmission wear out first and reverse friction material first or other gears friction material.

This material can end up getting stuck in the valve body hanging up valves and solenoids etc.

If a desperate shop can get away with getting paid to pull your transmission and rebuild it yet only really have to pull a valve body clean it and the valves plus do other minor work and call it a rebuild you bet your ass that is what they will do.

In their head they made enough money off you that even if they had to do the job over again within the warranty period they still make out like bandits.

I am not saying this happened to your transmission they may have pulled the transmission and may have properly rebuilt it and flushed the transmission cooler and lines plus replaced the torque converter.

They may have even searched the TSB data base for any relevant updated parts or procedures that needed to get addressed or installed to cure a factory design problem.

Yet in today's greed driven and desperate society I would not bet my life on it.

If you should purchase a service manual and sift through the PO735 code pinpoint test to see if you get lucky and find a bad connection or something else wrong you can get to is dependent on what the shop does with your warranty.

Either way I wish you good luck.