View Single Post

Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: 96 2.3 runs perfect, except extremely low power

Rather than pull the crank pulley, roll the crankshaft to TDC indicated on the belt cover marks. Pull the #1 spark plug, look. You should see a piston, on either FIRE or EXHAUST.
If you can, roll the pulley back and forth while watching, or use a probe (screwdriver or piece of wooden dowel) to see the piston crown movement. See if TDC lines up with the actual 'felt' TDC. If that's good, the cam sprocket should be visible through the aperture behind the upper radiator hose. Should be a triangle on the edge, and a 'mark' or 'pointer' (vintage dependent) indicating the cam is in time... I do not know if there is an access point/pointer for the aux shaft, if you have one. {Over time, the cam position sensor moved}
If you had a fuel pressure or volume problem, the computer will do all it can to increase fuel flow, thus the FUEL TRIMS. They are, from memory, high. It is trying to flow more fuel. Why doesn't it get too rich? Cuz the pressure or flow volume are not what is expected, maybe??? That's where I'd look. Could be a pump, could be the tiny screens in the injectors, could be a filter, could be voltage, and ground and ..... But if you check pressure and flow, you can rule out that chunk of the system. Newer vehicles have sensors that report(though they can be rong too) 'actual' pressure in the fuel line.
Low power is one sign of fuel delivery/volume/pressure problems. Misfire could also result if individual squirters were 'less than perfect', I figure. I have a somewhat similar problem, misfire, chug chug chug, off idle. Was very intermittent, so I thought water in the gas. Finally changed the filter(in canister, spozta last For Ever), and it got worse. Still chasing, and have changed my TFI(ignition module), so on to coil/plug wires/injectors/fuel pressure/etc etc etc to find my problem. Ugh. At least now it will mis-behave all the time once I push down on the gas pedal, so it is something I should be able to find. Before, it was very intermittent, and NOT noticeable driving down the highway, and now it doesn't WANT to drive down the highway without 'nursing' the gas pedal. TPS? What a mess of things that can go wrong.
tom