View Single Post

Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Habenae Est Dominatus

Default Re: Aux input, OE radio

The F series vehicle has a 2 pc wire harness. The black connector is the input to the vehicles separate amplifier; usually JBL Premium or early GEN1 MACH systems. The second plug contains all necessary power wires as any Gray plug would for general Ford Power, Ign, grnd, dimm, power ant.. etc...

You could use the outputs as if it were like a "pre-amp" but to have them bridged as you mentioned, output would quickly clip if worked properly at all. The amplifiers in Stock radios werent exactly meant to be used in those kinds of wiring configurations. Theres a reason why even a 25w X 2 amplifier has a heat sink the size of your radio, Even old Peanuts or Punch 45's rated at 15w x 2 and 22w x 2 were 5.5" x 6" and 7.5" x 7.5" despite in its time.. about $9 of Radio shack parts and some passive X-overs you could rock a strong 225w out of a Punch 45 in mixed mono-stereo mode.. And now im really dating myself.

Ford Ideally only had 3 types of Audio wiring, as far as production goes anyway:

- Standard wire harness connectors: this connector design is for basic radios but many times one vehicle model has different wire colors from another vehicle model.
- Premium or amplified wire harness connectors: these connectors are used with JBL, Mach, and other Ford amplified radio systems. One connector has all wires contained inside a gray data cable and these wires should never be cut.
- Common ground wiring: Older Ford vehicles used a common ground wiring method or in other words they only used one ground wire for all speakers in the vehicle.

My Build Pg. Threads
+ 93' Ranger Overlanding Build
+ 94' Ranger Bed Overlanding Trailer Build
+ 12° North Industries ~ I Support