View Single Post

Old 12-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default 1987 inertia switch problem

My 87 ranger has had an intermittent problem for about 3 mos. it will run fine, then all the sudden it wont start and acts like its not getting fuel. Usually, if it sits overnight, it will start the next morning. After failing to start the other night I went back the next morning and it would not start no matter what and acted as if it wasnt getting fuel, among other things I tried I pushed the inertia switch reset button, although it has never popped and I have owned thisk truck since 89. It still wouldnt start, I dont know why I tried this and know it doesnt make much sense but, I held the inertia switch down while turning the igniton and the truck fired right up, I turned loose of the inertia switch button and the truck died, I held the button in again and the truck started, this time when I released the inertia button the truck stayed running but did idle rough. I drove about a mile home and thats as far as I have gottten. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem? As I said earlier the reset button still has never popped up. I talked to a local shop and they want to replace both fuel pumpps at a cost of 550 before even seeing the truck, any advice would be greatly appriciated