Thread: Discuss How-To: OHC Install
View Single Post

Old 05-11-2017, 08:51 AM
29 Year Ranger Veteran

Default Re: How-To: OHC Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varilux View Post
Okay, the info on the function of the speed sensor makes sense given the readings I had on the OHC today.

1. Started the drive home from work with a cold engine- as the info suggested, the correct temp displayed on the OHC.
2. On the way home, I washed the truck- and sprayed some cold water on the sensor. On restart a few minutes later, the temp was indeed lower than the previous reading- so it displayed a lower temp.
3. A mile later, I stopped to run into the grocery store. When I came back a few minutes later, the temp read the same as it did when I stopped (because the sensor was reading a HIGHER temp than before now). As the info said, since I don't have the speed wire connected, after a few minutes the temp started going up by 1 degree per minute.
4. Here's where it got interesting. I disconnected and reconnected the sensor with the truck running- which caused it to default back to -19F. Drove around a bit, and the temp started climbing one degree per minute from -19. That was annoying, but then I read the info and realized the temp would reset after 2 hours.
5. Sure enough, I let the truck sit for 3 hours, went out and started the truck and it read the correct temp.

So, even though hooking up the speed sensor wire (gray/black) IS optional, if you stop and restart the truck it will cause the temp to not read correctly for some time. Fortunately, once the truck sits for 2 hours it resets.
There you go. Interesting is it not? I found the VSS wire in the harness right next to the parking brake. Your 04 should be the same, easy peasy assuming you ran a wire for it from the OHC that is.

Ceramic Pads, Energy Suspension Polyurethane Sway links and bushings. OHC. Third Brake Light Directionals. KYB Shocks. Dipped and Blacked Out.

Acme Projectors with Morimoto XB35 Ballast and Morimoto XB35 5500K Bulbs.