View Single Post

Old 04-30-2017, 02:43 AM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: My 2002 Ranger 2.3 DOHC is kicking my butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw0 View Post
Do you hear the noise continuously with the engine at operating temperature, or, does it just knock a bit when you open the throttle?
I remember some engines that would have a slight pre-ignition knock as you opened the throttle from idle. That was normal and no cause for alarm or pouring $$ bills into new parts under the hood.
Sounds are very difficult to assess from a computer speaker. There's no 'directionality', and what sounds obnoxious from a computer might sound perfectly normal standing alongside the front fender, hood up, engine at idle.
If you ever lay under an engine running at idle, you might wonder how it all stays together given all the noises produced.
OTOH, if you turn up the radio, you might not notice the sound. Sgt Schultz theory of operation as one wag described: "I know nutting."
tom
the noise or I should say noises I have been chasing used to be noticed after the engine was warm under light acceleration from about 1200 rpm to about 2000 rpm

The noise is or was also noticeable at idle once the engine had warmed up enough. Since I have replaced some parts the noise at idle has not returned.

by replacing the parts that had made noise when spinning by hand and also had slop or play in them the engine is now much quieter.

I am sure the engine noise I have been focusing on it not normal and shouldn't be ignored.

one video I made with my iPad resting on the radiator core support you can see vibration that is in tune with the knocking sound.

I will log on with my iPad and post this video.

This vibration which is in time with the noise is what makes me think the noise may be from detonation or a slack in the timing chain.

This process has been painfully slow due to my back and neck limiting what I can do.

However I am positive that eventually I will track down the culprit and fix it somehow.

----------

Here is the video that shows the vibration I mentioned

Here is the last video I made with the AC now working and water pump replaced along with the other parts I replaced. To me the engine sounds noticeably quieter at idle compared to the first video I posted on this thread.

Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 04-30-2017 at 02:52 AM.