View Single Post

Old 12-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Welcome to FRF!

Default Re: The Offical Vent Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooDib View Post
So then do you wear a white hood around sometimes to support your southern heritage? I'm not saying people with confederate flags are racist but that they just don't think about what it actually represents. Also, I agree that people from the south are nice and I love it down there when I visit.
But see, there's a difference between what is taught, and what is actually the truth. Of course one side is gonna say one thing, and the other will say something completely different. Were you actually there to see what happened? Were you a southern slave owner in that period? No. The best way to learn the truth, is to experience it yourself. Anybody who thinks that the war was over slavery really can't justify their reasoning, as the war was over 100 years ago. The truth in stories is bound to be stretched, and as mankind has always done, the winner will talk down the loser. From my perspective, and what was in fine print in my history books, but wasn't taught in school, the north was upset that the south was importing goods from England, because the business in the north couldn't compete with England's cheaper products. So, the north imposed high tarriffs (Morrill Tariff) on imports in the south. This doubled the tax on imports. The south finally had enough with the north's poor representation, and tarrifs, so they made the decision to withdraw from the Union. The south had escaped the tax, and the only way the north could collect this tax was to invade the Confederate States and force them back into the Union. Since the north knew they would draw no support for a war meant to collect taxes, they capitalized on the Confederate slave ownership as a way to prey on northern emotion and gain more support for their cause.

Ever hear about this in your text books? Nope. Neither did I. I always found the story of the north suspicious, so I read other more serious American History books not used in schools, and it was amazing all the information that is left out in schools.