View Single Post

Old 02-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Ford Pickup

Default Re: Front Brake Pads Recomendation

If you are doing pads, you need to cut the rotor face as well. If you don't, you'll find that the pads will wear unevenly due to the natural run out that occurs during normal use of brakes. This makes the rotor "uneven" and causes vibration issues. In the industry, when we do a pad only install, we call it pad slapping. And it almost always ends with someone coming back with vibrations or shakes needing the rotors cut. (or turned in proper terms)

As to the pads, I always buy the best pads for my personal vehicle. I drive hard and I need my cars to perform as such. I like Hawk pads, I use them on my Mustang (which has the big ass Brembo brake package from the track pack) They are a Ferro-Carbon material. Generally, the softer the pad the quieter the brakes and better the performance but also the shorter the life of the pads. The harder the pads are will lead to longer lifespan but lower performance. Each one has its trade offs. If you want to do any reading, these are the pads I use: http://www.hawkpadsdirect.com/Hawk-P...b453f.585f.htm
They don't have the ranger listed on their page but they do list the Explorer so they may carry the ones you need. I wouldn't buy them direct as they a bit pricey that way. I got mine online for about half what the retail price is. I also use them on the rear.

There are several great lines of cheaper pad out there though, ranging from the Wearever and in house brands to Akebono etc. Avoid using the "lifetime" warranty advertising as a determining factor in your decision though. Brake pads obviously don't last a lifetime, and that marketing seems to hook a lot of people into buying them.