View Single Post

Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 PM
FRF Journeyman

Default Re: The Offical Vent Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPless View Post
You're picking the fight with the wrong guy. I can keep this going for quite a while. You can't base that on the whole point of racism. Do you not realize the our founding fathers that created the country we love condoned slavery, and were also owners themselves. The rebel flag is no different than the early colonial flag. It was about views that weren't getting along. If the north were so against it, then why did the north buy all of the cotton grown and farmed by the slaves. Its all a circle.
The rebel flag is properly named the confederate flag because of the civil war which was fought based on slavery. Seeing as this is a fact I'm not sure how you can say that it had nothing to do with racism. Also, SOME of the founding fathers had slaves. The majority did not own slaves and did not agree with slavery as well. It was, however, too big of an issue to address and work out at the same time you are trying to create a new idea of a free nation. Saying that "the north did business with slave owners" is pointless because at the time it was legal to own slaves. Does that make it right? I really hope you would say no. However, same as today, business people looked at the bottom line and if it was cheaper and legal to buy from slave ran farms then so be it.
Bosch IR Iridium Fusion Spark Plugs