View Single Post

Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Learning to use the forums

Default Re: Engine modding... Do I need aftermarket ECU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateranger View Post
95 was a very odd year as far as the obd system goes. From january to June rangers had a bit of a hybrid obd 1/2 that requires requires a very specific scantool for diagnosis. After June it went to the common obd2 system. Check what month your truck was made and look for the plug under the dash ��.

The advantage of some hand held tuners is they can do datalogging, with quarterhorse you need to have a laptop or pc to upload logs, tuners also work as diagnostic tools and can be used to recalibrate speedometers for different tire size and axel ratios.

Ok so according to the sticker inside the driver door my truck was manufactured in July of 1995... So are you sure that means that its going to be OBD2? Couldn't I take it to my local mechanic friend that has a machine and have him hook it up to the plug under the steering wheel just to make sure? btw thank you very much for your help man. I never plan to get rid of this truck so I am out to learn as much as I can about it now so that in the future when I have problems the troubleshooting process will be that much easier. Oh hey also I dont really know much at all about tuners and software mods but I definitely want to learn more. Can you explain to me what is "datalogging" and also give me a good example of a hand held tuner that would work well with my truck.