Thread: 4x4 vs 2wd
View Single Post

Old 01-10-2017, 02:51 AM
2001 XLT

Default Re: 4x4 vs 2wd

Depends on your area man. Majority of snow we get here in VA/DC area is not long lived. My truck is rwd. Wife's solara is fwd, my STi is awd, and the Merc is rwd.... Never had an issue with any of them ever.

Do you NEED a 4x4? We get snow less for about a month, after that it's fine. I see tons of bmw's and mercs on the side of the road because they are still running summer tires but that's not the fault of the car at all.

My friend has dedicated winter tires for his m5 and he has zero issues in snow. It's actually quite fun to ride with him when we do get snow.

I like the mpg I get from the little 4 banger and rwd of the ranger. I've never needed a 4x4 truck yet... if the time comes then cool, but I have other people I could ask if I needed a larger 4x4.

Like others have mentioned you are asking this on a forum where the majority of people will say 4x4 no matter what. Which is cool but if you don't need it why pay more and get shittier mileage.

-Nigel

2001 Ranger XLT 2.3L Auto: Bunch of misc mods.
Little lift: 4" Spindle Lift w/ 2" shackles and 2" oem blocks.OEM Ranger Sport Wheels: Tires=245x75x16

~NSG~

Last edited by NewShockerGuy; 01-10-2017 at 02:53 AM.