View Single Post

Old 01-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Ford Ranger Driver

Default Re: Dash lights short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycerz View Post
Let's see what the great minds here think about this. I have duratec ranger 04 5spd and the dash light fuse blows constantly like I put one in turn on my dash lights boom blown instantly.... I have seen them on once since I have owned the truck and that was when I let a ******* use my truck and he ended up putting a fuse way to big in the dash light fuse spot(didn't tell me>.<)causing my tag light fuse to blow and when I replaced that fuse and went to go see if my tag lights worked(they did) I looked up and went aye!!! I got dash lights I looked over and my radio was billowing smoke yay!!! -_- Turned off the truck ripped the radio out,checked the fuses, and found the culprit-.- does anyone have any idea where this short or faulty ground could be? Cause now I have no radio or dash lights(I.e sucks the bootyhole)... I figured I would fix this while doing my motor swap

----------

I do have an aftermarket radio(installed by professional) and two woofers with two tweeters(not much room I a single can for speaker choices) in the back(blown from terrible feedback) the previous owner had the speakers back there but had taken out the hu and I replaced the hu previous owner said had no problem with feedback while using his hu

Someone put an oversize fuse in a circuit that was larger than the circuit was designed for. Furthermore, they did this when there could have been a direct short (the stereo swap from who knows when). Therefore, it's unremarkable that damage was done. You ask, "does anyone have any idea where this short or faulty ground could be? Well, every single inch of wiring and every connector in that circuit is now suspect for fried insulation and a short, there is no "look here, this is where they always short location" type of answer. To resolve the problems, you will have to use good ol' fashioned diagnostic techniques, and if you get real lucky you won't have to drop a dash and R&R the main hardess, which is where MUCH of the suspect wiring is. At this point, your "friend" should dig in his wallet and pay a shop to find and fix the problem he created for you. If he's not willing to pay for the damage he caused then you are correct, he really is, as you say and I'll use cut/paste for this, an "*******".

Proudly JAP/RICE free since March 2000

Last edited by cowboybilly9mile; 01-05-2017 at 01:03 PM.