Thread: 4x4 vs 2wd
View Single Post

Old 01-03-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydog View Post
To say the "majority" of 4x4 Rangers had the LSD is total bunk unless you somehow have the selected options list for every 4x4 Ranger ever manufactured. Sure FX4 and FX4 II have it as standard, but the rest had to choose. Choosing the LSD option would require either the customer or dealer, or both, to know what an LSD is. My money is on the majority being open diff. Might go some way to explain why the internet is full of people doing axle swaps. Of course they are important, but on a completely stock truck they don't mean much off road. If you think by listing the advantages of a 4x4 that I'm contradicting myself, then you don't understand my point. I'm not saying that 2wd is superior to 4x4, stock vs stock, I'm saying: 1. It isn't necessary for what the OP wants to do, which was kinda the point of this thread. 2. Good all-terrains and a decent suspension lift will get you way further down the road than just a stock truck even if it has 4x4. 3. If a 2wd is way cheaper than a 4x4, you can use that extra budget to make yourself a way more useful truck than what you'd get with a stock 4x4 for OP's requirements. 4. When off road 4x4 shouldn't even be on all the time, if you have enough traction for 2wd then using 4x4 is likely just wearing the driveline. So in OP's case he may even just end up breaking it if he doesn't know what he's doing. People have to start somewhere. Maxing your budget just to get 4x4 and nothing else is a lame starting point for off roading in my opinion. 4x4 is OBVIOUSLY a better starting point for an offroad rig IF you have the budget to upgrade things like tires, suspension, etc. That said, I've seen people get through some pretty crazy stuff in a 2wd. I've also seen people get a 4x4 stuck in some really easy stuff. 70% driver, 30% rig. On it's own the Ford Ranger is not a capable off roader by any standards, even the FX4 level II is a joke when compared to the Tacoma 4x4 TRD or hell, any old Jeep Rubicon. It requires a LOT of modification to get the Ranger anywhere near decent for off roading. The first and MOST important of those modifications is better tires, at least 31", and some lift. Anyway, OP, that's my take on the 2wd vs 4wd debate. I got a 4x4 because they are the same price as the 2wd in my area. If the same is true for you then I'd recommend you hold out and get the 4x4.
Blah blah blah, wrong again cananaanananaaanaddaaa

Double Lifted Rangers