Thread: 4x4 vs 2wd
View Single Post

Old 01-03-2017, 05:56 AM
Chat ********* Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydog View Post

I also own and drive an open diff 4x4 ranger. I've driven many types of vehicle off road, including full time center diff custom land rovers that make jeeps look like toys. What you're saying is valid but doesn't contradict or disprove any of what I've said.

Also a lsd 4x4 is a very different animal to an open diff 4x4. Fact is, rangers come with an open diff 4x4, so unless you add a diff lock or lsd, there are only 3 advantages a 4x4 ranger in stock form has over a 2wd with locker and lift.

1. Low range.
2. Weight over front wheels meaning better traction.
3. Power distributed over more wheels, meaning less power per wheel is required to move the vehicle.

Anyone who actually goes offroad or "wheeling" as the posers call it will tell you the following:

1. Good rubber and a suspension lift are way more important than 4x4 or lockers.
2. Off roading is 70% driver, 30% rig.
3. Every rig has limits.
4. The harder the trail you can take, the more screwed you are if you get stuck.

Sure a 2wd with locker engaged will not turn quite as well, but its not the impossible task you're describing either. It all depends on what you're doing and how its set up.

Yes of course its more sensible to buy a 4x4 if you can get one, but what if you can't? What if 2wd rangers are significantly cheaper and more plentiful? Under those circumstances, a 2wd with some mods will be more than adequate for what the op wants to do: light off road and occasional snow.
There are plenty of jeeps that would shit all over your land rover, and I like land rovers. Stop giving out crappy advice. Most of the 4wd rangers had a lsd rear end. I'm sorry you bought an undesirable one. He never talked about some "impossible task" you refer to. Did you even read his thread?
1974 Kawasaki mc1m 90