View Single Post

Old 12-21-2016, 11:49 PM
Like the Forums

Default 2004 ford ranger 2.3l starting without transmission

Ok so I have a 2004 ford ranger 2.3l and long story short it got a knock in the motor. So I'm looking for a replacement motor. I have found a motor that just might be a bit of a steal. The guy wants 200 if I come and pull it(down from 400, said he's tired of looking at it and not doing anything with it). He told me that it runs just fine but I want to see it myself. So comes the question there is no transmission on the truck is there any way I can get the motor to turnover without having to install a transmission. I know that the starter bolts on to the bell housing so I was thinking there might be a way to just put a flywheel on and have a separate mount for the starter without to much fabrication. taking out the tranny in my truck anyways cause I have taught 6 people how to drive standard on the current clutch so time for a replacement . I just don't want to have to mount the tranny and take it out twice if I don't have to( I can be a lil lazy at times XD). Sorry for the newb question here just again would rather not have to try and install a tranny in some guys yard for a motor that might not even turn over...