View Single Post

Old 11-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Ford Ranger Owner

Default Re: 03 Ranger Camping Project

These pictures aren't going to look great because I took them at night. If I have the time I'll try and get some day time shots and upload those.

And here is what it looks like installed in the bed.

The platform is 3/4" plywood that is being supported by 3 2x4's (which are actually 1.5" X 3.5"), the wheel hump and two L brackets on the front and back.

Then I put the twin fitted sheet and gromitted the corners and tied them together so it wouldn't shift around.

I'm pretty happy with the result. There's plenty of space to sleep on my back or on my side, which is a big deal since I'm a fat dude. The mattress is also really comfortable. And with all that I even have quite a bit of storage space underneath the sleeping platform.

----------

I also rented a drill at Home Depot, because I didn't have one with enough power to drill through metal, so I decide to drill the bumper for the threaded rivets for my light bar. So her she is with the 24" light bar attached to the front bumper. I think it looks pretty cool and uses that space pretty well. It's not wired up yet, this is just a test fit and to drill those holes so I could return the drill to Home Depot.

I'm thinking of hooking the light bar to the same button used for the fog lights, but I noticed that the fogs automatically turn off if you turn the high beams on and I don't want the light bar to do that. So I'm still a little conflicted about that.

----------

Now for my current dilemma, I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my spare fuel can. It fits perfectly between the roof rack rails and is much easier to get too when standing on the tailgate vs it sitting on the roof rack. If I mount it directly to the topper it means 4 more holes I have to drill and weather seal, but it also leaves the rack open for more stuff. It also keeps it closer to the truck so there won't be as much wind resistance.