View Single Post

Old 09-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Liking the Ford Ranger Forum

Default Re: Duratec pinging like crazy...

Valve was carboned up as it naturally will be. I managed to angle my phone to get some shots of the head ports and they are black inside - again, they just will be, we're dealing with exhaust. There were no lumps or flakes or built up carbon deposits in the head ports, just a sooty black coating and short of removing the head and rebuilding/cleaning it there's not much one can do about it. It won'thurt it.
No I did not have to remove or lower any of the driveline. I did however have to remove the firewall insulation (why Ford thought in all their engineering to put it there I'll never understand - some of us actually want to hear the engine) and the intake manifold among other things to get my scrawny arms behind there and it took a 3/8" drive ratchet and a 10 mm shorty socket. ...and a lot of blind feel and patience.
...and that's about it...
That's it in a nut shell. It's tedious and time consuming but nothing worth having is easy.

I do not plan on running 87. For the extra few bucks per tank it's worth it to burn cleaner fuel.