Thread: Discuss How To: Adjust Torsion Bars
View Single Post

Old 09-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Ford Ranger Owner

Default Re: How To: Adjust Torsion Bars

50k mile update on my maxed out t-bar crank:
truck: 2006 Ranger XLT 4x4
wheels: stock alcoa 16"
tires: LT285/65R-16 Cooper Discover AT3 (incredible, long lasting, will buy again)
shocks: (front) Rancho 5000 series (? the ones for slightly lifted rangers, look it up)
miles since t-bar crank: ~50k
results:
1. lower ball joints blew out after 30k. Replaced them with aftermarket ones that need to be re-lubricated every 15k. $120 including labor.
2. Power Steering Pump wore out after 45k. This happened while I was stuck in a rut trying to crank wheel L to R to climb out... $680 including labor.
3. Driver's seat cover and foam is worn from sliding in and out. Getting re-upholstered and re-foamed... $90

Overall: I would do this again. Truck looks good. Total cost of the "free" crank was high but cheap if you consider that it took 50k to really start having problems. With the extended shocks there is no discomfort and the steering doesn't wander like tacomas do. Do it but expect to pay for an alignment immediately and make sure to balance the vehicle (inflate tires properly, find level ground, measure front L and R fender height and adjust torsion bars so they are equal) /end.

Last edited by phixion az; 09-03-2016 at 04:51 PM.